Cannondale....what's the attraction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
User3143 said:
Depicts your centre of gravity on the rider, not to mention should be at the correct height.

Maybe I've missunderstood here, are we talking a correctly set up seat vs an incorectly set up seat, or one seat model vs another. I can see what you are saying with regards to set up. This definatelly has an effect, I know this since I shifted my seat forward to get a more TT friendly possition recently and noted a very different feeling.

However, assuming your seat is set up correctly, vs another seat model (also set up correctly) they should techically, bar general comfort be equivalent in terms of handling though?

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying the statement is incorrect, I am just curious as to how this is so.

The shape of a saddle, it's construction, the angle of it, it's location relative to the ideal, and it's interface with the rider's arse can all have an effect on the way a rider sits on a bike and this will change the way a bike feels and handles. Any of these factors can affect the centre of gravity and therefore the weight distribution between the wheels and this must influence the handling.

snailracer

Über Member
Rob3rt said:
Yes, bar its basic shock absorbing factor and general comfort, how does it effect the bikes handling and how this would translate to the rider?
The shock absorbing factor directly affects the bike's handling because it isolates the largest mass (ie the rider) from the vibration of the bike as it rides over bumps i.e. unsprung mass is minimized.

Have you noticed how bike tyres skip less and maintain better contact over a rough stretch of road when weight is taken off the saddle? This makes a big difference to grip when cornering, which IMO is the most important component of handling, and is especially pronounced on a road bike with skinny high-pressure tyres.

As far as subjective "feel" is concerned, when I switched from a moulded saddle to a sprung rail saddle, I kept checking my back tyre for punctures because the back end felt too soft!

hotmetal

Not had any experience of 'Dale road frames. I am also allergic to hype and would therefore not buy a Cannondale (or Pinnarello or Colnago etc etc) just because of the name, unless the frame lived up to it.

I've ridden a fair few MTBs and somehow, the Cannondales just seem to ride better/faster somehow. I can't explain it (especially as for a given price point you get a lower groupset with posh brands). But anyway, having really been convinced I wanted a Specialized FSR, or a Scott Genius, when I actually tried them back to back with a Cannondale Jekyll, against all odds I just found that the 'Dale seemed much more lively and 'wanted to go'. All very unscientific of course, and relating to bikes with suspension so maybe all bets are off, but I have two (US-built) Cannondale MTBs now, alongside my carbon Giant road bike. They just seem to make frames that ride nicely. I am aware of their reputation for breaking (in the MTB scene) but have not had any trouble personally. Also, in case of frame breakages, Cannondale have a very good warranty, and I do know someone who cracked his Jekyll and was given a new Prophet frame with no quibble. (They'd discontinued the Jekyll by then).

Top Bottom