Cannot place phone order due to new data protection laws-how bizarre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
He's talking out of his exhaust.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Load of bowlocks. If he reckons he can't take a verbal order over the phone, then by the same reckoning he wouldn't be able to take a verbal order in the shop.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Rather than wade though a mountain of regulations, a lot of smaller companies are outsourcing their payment processing to certified third parties.

As a result, many now decline to take payments over the phone.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I recently ordered some car parts from a supplier I have held an account with for many years, I probably have a history on their system going back almost 20yrs.

This time because I was ordering over the phone they used a system that at the point of payment transfers to a 'secure' line (what ever that is) while we still communicate verbally but payment card details (the 16 digit long number, exp date and 3 digit security code off the signature strip) are all entered using the phone keypad to type them in. Never come across this system before last week or at any other company, although this might be because most remote purchases are completed online.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What a pain.
Not massively inconvenient, just different to anything i have encountered before. I wonder how lifes fumblers would cope, would the system survive someone that keeps pressing the wrong buttons? At least online you can see and review the numbers you have entered before you submit them.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Calmac cannot take card details for ferry bookings verbally by phone as they say it is against the law. The system they use is as I Like Skol describes. Depends who you get and which office. Where I am known they recognise my voice and have taken allegedly illegal details. If you put in a wrong digit it is a right pain as you have to cancel the transaction and go back to the beginning again. Also I cannot do bookings on line as I have a concession card which the system cannot cope with. Modern life gets more complicated by the day.
Lots of other quite large transactions seem to be no problem by phone. I had to pay an undertaker and then monumental sculptor as well as lawyers fees. All in 4 figures no problem making phone payments.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I recently ordered some car parts from a supplier I have held an account with for many years, I probably have a history on their system going back almost 20yrs.

This time because I was ordering over the phone they used a system that at the point of payment transfers to a 'secure' line (what ever that is) while we still communicate verbally but payment card details (the 16 digit long number, exp date and 3 digit security code off the signature strip) are all entered using the phone keypad to type them in. Never come across this system before last week or at any other company, although this might be because most remote purchases are completed online.
My mortgage provider did this, for the first time, last week.
I wanted to make an overpayment, the system started to ask for all the numbers etc, I didn't trust it, asked to speak to an operator, they put me through the exact same service.
It worked, so I'm happy.

classic33

Leg End Member
EE can't take payment in shop, for contract customers. First time was last week.

There is no D.O.B. on record, so payment wasn't taken.

Having to punch the card numbers in on the phone is something I've not done in 17 years. Bank considered it unsafe, so stopped using it.

Top Bottom