can't change from big to small chainring...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I struggle to get the chain from big to small chainring on my allez.
The 50t chainring is wearing out and i plan to change it soon.
Is the front derailleur possibly playing up because the chainring is worn out? [deeper 'scoops' between teeth, hence derailleur struggling?]

stephec

Legendary Member
I don't mean to sound condescending here, but have you checked the obvious such as the front mech stop screws being set correctly?

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
mech screws were working fine a few weeks back, but maybe they've come loose (do they come loose by themselves?). I'll check them again.

Hi Maz, I know from your posts you are not the worlds best mechanic, but.....if your chainring is worn out then so is your chain and rear cassette. Have a good look at that chainring, if it looks anything like a sharks fin it's doomed, oh and a worn ring will not really affect changing into the smaller one. Hope that helps.

Bman

Guru
I had a problem dropping from middle to granny ring a few weeks back.

It was crud caught in the mechanism. A quick clean and re-lube and it was shifting fine.

You've probably already ruled that out, but I thought I would chuck it in anyway.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Hi Maz, I know from your posts you are not the worlds best mechanic, but.....if your chainring is worn out then so is your chain and rear cassette. Have a good look at that chainring, if it looks anything like a sharks fin it's doomed, oh and a worn ring will not really affect changing into the smaller one. Hope that helps.
Thanks fo the compliment, totallyfixed :thumbsup:.
Chain and cassette are in decent nick - both recently replaced.
Chainring has had it, and will be replaced. I'll see if the front deraillleur behaves itself after that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cable crap. That's what it is usually.......

Change, or if you don't want/can't replace, then strip, and use that WD40 sh!t to clean out and re grease...

OH AND..

Have you been squirting a bit of WD40 (YES) or a "real lube" (WD should only be used by bike cleaning nutters like me on bits that need attention like this) on the pivots on the front mech over winter.... ?

PS My mate has just killed an XT front mech by being stupid. I'd have got it sorted within minutes......I DID TELL HIM !

2old2care

Über Member
Try removing the chain and also disconnect the shifting cable from the front mech, and move it by hand if ti moves ok then it's the cable being tight, if it doesn't then it's the mech itself. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Top Bottom