cant change gears :S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
The Gear cable going to the rear wheel is completely slack....and I have attempted to tighten it but to no avail :<

The bike is a Felt z65, accidently dropped it this morning when prepping to ride. Hasn't seen a service yet, but past the 6 weeks free service, and I am unwilling to dish out £60ish to an LBS just so that the cables get tightened.

I will do my best to describe the issue, however I know NO bike part names (well...i know what a wheel is etc... :biggrin:)

The right hand gear shifters leading to the rear wheel doesnt work. On inspection cable is slack as mentioned above. I thought it would be a case of loosening the bolt on the rear deraillur and pulling the cable taught...however there is a plastic tube guard (like the plastic cover on wire) which prevents this, and I cannot slide this up and down freely or with significant force.

Would welcome help :biggrin:
Thanks

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It doesn't cost £60 to tweak gear cables. Ditch your LBS, they are ripping you off! Find thee another LBS.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
turns out service is £35 and their super duper service is £60....35 still a rip? or can I walk in and pay them a tenner? :biggrin:

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
Have you clicked the shifter all the way down to the smallest cog position before trying to tighten?

Somewhere on the cable run there is a barrell adjuster (sort of knurled knob screwed into the frame or derailleur). Screw this all the way in first.

Check the cable guide under the bottom bracket is running free.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Cheers for the advice.
after a brief phone call to the so called "North west schoolboy champion" of 1811 or something along that date (i.e. my dad) he says it is to do with the nipple snapping....so I guess it is a new cable job! Cheers for the advice Oldlegs, it will come in handy when i need to adjust the cable tension after replacing the cable etc ;)

Top Bottom