Can't decide on a 700x28 'hybrid' tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-s

I want to change the standard 700x37 tyres that came with my Felt QX85 hybridised MTB, I'm sure they're making life hardwork! For the roadbike, I was obsessed with weight and rolling resistance and I'm trying to get out of that mindset.

The majority of the miles will be tarmac commuting (30-40 miles/week) with the rare venture onto gritted paths/trails. So choice should be for tarmac usage since it doesn't take ten minutes to swap back to the originals for an off-road session.

I don't want to spend more than £50 on a set, ideally less the £40-£45 and can't decide from gatorskins, durano's, sport contact, Vittoria Randonneur or any of the other myriad of tyres available, there is just too much choice!

Chris

mistercharly

Pasela TG

BSRU

A Human Being
You're going to get lots of different opinions.

Mine is, if you can stretch a little, go for Continental GP 4 Seasons, an excellent tyre.

chigman

sport contacts are fantastic tyres IMO. My last pair 700x32's went 4000 miles before one of them punctured, and that was a big piece of glass going through a slice that was already in the tyre. Just bought some more, 700x28's this time round. Recommended.

Steve

vickster

Legendary Member
I've done 1100 miles this year on the Specialized All Condition Sport, 700x28c, wire bead, 60TPI with Flak Jacket protection on my Sirrus without a jot of trouble, can't complain

ACS

Legendary Member
Another vote for Bontrager Race-lite Hardcases.

OP
OP
C

chris-s

Thanks guys, I knew I'd get a dozen different answers but thats ok. From you suggestions it's either going to be the Bontrager or Sport Contacts.

Cheers

Chris

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Thanks guys, I knew I'd get a dozen different answers but thats ok. From you suggestions it's either going to be the Bontrager or Sport Contacts.

Cheers

Chris

I've used both. Bontrager anyday.

The Sport Contacts are a softer compound so a bit more comfortable, but, they're very slippery in the wet. Also, they don't wear that well. They were good for the first 1k miles but deteriorated quickly after that and invited punctures.

The Bonty's are slicks down the middle, but have a fine ribbed edging for wet weather grip and cornering.

They're also hard-wearing - mine done nearly 2k miles with no noticeable wear - and I am big.

mistercharly

I agree with Moody. I used to use Sport contacts until I got fed up of punctures. They are hopeless after about 1000miles.

CrinklyLion of this parish uses the hard cases and finds that they last really well.

Top Bottom