can't decide whether to get new back brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

basically the nut that the arrow's pointed to has fallen off, it's the one round the other side of the bolt that you can see with the hex key head.
shimanobr4500.jpg

This doesn't mean the caliper doesn't work, but it does make it slightly skewift, as in one of the brake blocks is slightly ahead of the other on the rim. Also you can move one of the caliper arms in relation to the other a little bit whereas on my front one you can't.

I ordered a new tektro one off CRC but they sent me a brake lever instead, the numpties. I phoned them up to complain but they said they've got the tektro calipers in stock but can't find them because they must have been labelled wrong, so can't send me one. Great. (I've since sent them an email to complain because that's two out of my last three orders that have been wrong, but that's another issue...)

I've asked in the LBS if they've got a spare nut that would fit but they didn't.
Now I can't decide whether to get a whole new caliper or not and if so which one to get I don't know whether it is one, but my current one looks remarkably similar to the shimano tiagra in the picture. I don't want to spend too much but don't want the same thing to happen again!

I don't know why the nut fell off, I don't even know when it happened but basically I just noticed that the bolt had worked itself loose and the nut had thus obviously fell off. The front one is fine, the bolt's fully in and the nut is still there on the back.

So I want people's opinion on whether i should
(a) get a new back brake (advantages: could do with new blocks anyway as had to chop the wilko's ones down and there is a bit of metal showing which I don't like, peace of mind - disadvantages: cost, don't like replacing parts unless necessary)
(;) hunt around for another nut (advantages, secure fix and will hardly cost anything, disadvantages: time consuming and possibly fruitless hunt)
(c) sod it (advantages: easier, might not be necessary anyway, disadvantages: niggling doubt that it might fall apart even though it is unlikely.
help me decide people please...thanks!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
your lbs is obviously one of these ones full of expensive looking kit and lovely bikes. lovely to browse in. i've got one of those on my doorstep, and also the sort of shop with all manner of bikes road, mtb, kids, second hand. that's where i go for mechanical services, and it's the sort of place that would have just the right bolt. that lbs saved my life by having a pair of sti shifter handlebar brackets once i'd discovered i'd lost mine ;)

see if you've got one of those sort of lbss locally. they'll probably be making a living out of fixing bikes bought at the local halfords.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Take the bolt off the brake.

Take it into a local hardware shop.

Buy another nut.

If you're bothered about it coming off again, buy a tube of threadlock while you're there.

Don't do nothing. Your brakes are crucial. We don't want you hurting yourself.

Oh, and bin the Wilko blocks. If you've had to chop them down then they're not the right ones.

Quite right MP, If I lost a nut off me wheel, doesn't mean I need a new bike.
(Well that's what the missus tells me, I'm working on it though ;))

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Take the bolt off the brake.

Take it into a local hardware shop.

Buy another nut.

hmmm. i'll probably do that actually. The thing is the nut has to be the right hexagonal size aswell as the right thread, because it fits into a hexagon-shaped hole on the caliper arm at the back, which is what makes me think it might be hard to find one that'll fit, but i suppose a quick gander round b&q with the whole caliper in my hand to try it can't do any harm.

alecstilleyedye said:
your lbs is obviously one of these ones full of expensive looking kit and lovely bikes. lovely to browse in. i've got one of those on my doorstep, and also the sort of shop with all manner of bikes road, mtb, kids, second hand. that's where i go for mechanical services, and it's the sort of place that would have just the right bolt. that lbs saved my life by having a pair of sti shifter handlebar brackets once i'd discovered i'd lost mine ;)

see if you've got one of those sort of lbss locally. they'll probably be making a living out of fixing bikes bought at the local halfords.
i've got two main lbss, langsett, which has a fairly motley collection of bikes, quite a few hybrids but then these weird beach cruiser bikes and tandems etc., aswell as occasionally having the odd fairly high end road bike in, and then the rest of the store is taken up with clothing and bags etc. - they are normally quite helpful if you ask them for an odd bolt or something, might not be right but they'll try, they are on the way home so i'll have a look in on the way tonight actually.
The other one is james's which is split out across two buildings across the road from one another, one of which is the 'family' section and the other the 'high-end' section, they normally claim not to have any little bits and bobs like odd bolts but I think it's normally because they're so busy they haven't really got time to look. There's another one but which is mainly a camping shop and unless you go in when the mechanic is on duty then it's pretty much sales only, no service.

as for making a living out of halfords james's are only a few hundred yards up the road from halfords which is probably why they're so busy :sad:
The better halfords' staff actually even recommend going there ("have you got xxx?" "nah, try james's up the road"), and a few times i've seen halfords' staff shopping in james's wearing their halfords uniform...whether it was for themselves or possibly even for a part to fix a customer's bike with probably at a mark-up, who knows...

skwerl

"The thing is the nut has to be the right hexagonal size aswell as the right thread, because it fits into a hexagon-shaped hole on the caliper arm at the back"

Should be ok. Most nuts and bolts should follow standard sizing. If i remember the flats are 1.5M and the diagonals are 1.75M. Washers are 2M in diameter. Not always the case but should be for metric. I imagine that bolt is M6. can't remember though

OP
OP
B

bonj2

yes, result :sad: fortunately the LBS on my way home did have one and fitted it aswell and after a bit of fiddling it fitted perfectly ;) and if they give you something free i always try to buy something from there aswell so bought some new blocks to replace the wilko's ones, so all running sweet now

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
yes, result :sad: fortunately the LBS on my way home did have one and fitted it aswell and after a bit of fiddling it fitted perfectly ;) and if they give you something free i always try to buy something from there aswell so bought some new blocks to replace the wilko's ones, so all running sweet now

that's called a good relationship with your lbs. worth keeping.

Top Bottom