Can't Get Tyres Straight! :0(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I've no idea about the GT85, but my rims haven't rusted away after a teeny bit of Fairy three years ago yet!

mr Mag00

rising member
yh the light lube just helps the tyre wall slip up the rim as the tyre inflates

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I must admit that I think something like Fairy would slip better than talc. But I'm not an expert here, I'm trusting you guys.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Mr Pig said:
I'm trusting you guys.
Someone on a forum once told me to oil my rims to stop my brakes squealing...luckily I'm not that daft.

I haven't tried it, but I suppose people use talc to get wetsuits etc on (probably helps for latex cycling shorts as well :becool:).

Steve Austin's method should also work...but it's scary when the bead pops as you think it's the rim exploding...

02GF74

Über Member
Rigid Raider said:
NO! no! no! NOT dishwash liquid! See the discussion elsewhere about the high salt content of dishwash liquid. It will rust your rims and worse, it will attract moisture and remain damp inside the rims.

so how much salt will ther be in 1 or 2 drops of fairy liquid?

I doubt the amount of salt is anything to worry about.

the same is said about using it as windsreen cleaner - I have done this a few times when I don't have access to the proper stuff and still waiting for the wipers to fall apart.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
This whole thing with fairy liquid is a joke right?

Currently the whole of the MTB community fitting tubeless tyres is using soapy liquid to fit their tyres, as it helps the tyre seat properly on the bead.
What damage soapy liquid can do to alloy rims and rubber tyres must be negligible compared to the damage of riding a bike on roads that are covered with oil, grit, salt, sand, tar, children, mud etc etc.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Steve Austin said:
What damage soapy liquid can do must be negligible compared with oil, grit, salt, sand, tar, children, mud etc.

That's true. Children can make a right mess of your tyres! ;0)

I must admit it does seem a bit daft. Soapy liquid has never seemed particularly corrosive to me.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Baggy said:
have you sorted your tyres out?

Not yet. They're on my second wheels in the shed and I'm loaded with the cold so all I'm doing tonight is hitting the settee with a duvet, watching a film and going to bed.

Gross Point Blank or Catch 22 I think.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Update:

Thank you, it worked quite well.

A lick of Fairy around the bead of the tyres and the front tyre is pretty straight, about as good as you're likely to get it. The back tyre still has a weave in it at one point but it's at least as good as I could get it by hand, and probably better, so I'm happy.

Thanks again for the tip :0)

Top Bottom