Can't help thinking that in a few months time there'll be a lot of used bikes for sale.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I was in Decathlon the other day - Triban 3s were flying out. My neighbours have just pictched up with a fleet of Rockrider 5.0s. Silly prices being paid for anything that looks like a road bike on fleabay.

How long will it last? Sept here next week, temperatures starting to drop, nights drawing in.

Looking forward to some good second hand bargains in January when the Christmas credit card bills are due and that unused road bike gathers dust in the marital bedroom.

My Viking Torino is 4 year old, I have just started cycling again about 10 wks ago (just did my first sub 2hr 50Km non stop ride this evening), I have been out in all weathers, never see anyone when its wet, though see loads of roadies in fine weather, and also a fair few in twilight with no lights.
I did re gear the bike 13-34, I am know back to the 13-26 cassette (bent the 34 tooth ring Monday) but still on a 26-38-48 chain set, could do with going back to 28-30 tooth low gear though so might get a new cassette and back to a 28 granny.
I wouldn't sell my bike for anything (not that its worth much from what opinions I have read), it took me to London (from Dewsbury) and back 4 years ago, (though to be fair I think I pushed it up most of the steep hills), then didnt do much, which is why its took me 10 wks to get back to this level.

dharma66

Regular
Mine might be on sale in the new year...
Got it two weeks ago, and got a hybrid because road bikes looked scary, and thought I might be mostly on canal paths.
Now I want a road bike instead.

DougieAB

Getting the messages
If this winter is as dry as the last then we may see a few more cyclists carry on through the worst months. Hopefully once the cycling bug bites they carry on through till next year.

e-rider

crappy member
the type of people that rush out to buy something just becasue a British guy on TV won a race, are very likely to not make more than 5 rides before it starts collecting dust in the shed and ends up being sold next year, as they will already be on to the next thing.
I really enjoyed watching Mo Farah win, but I didn't rush off to the running shop, same said for the rowers - paddle shop anyone?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Lot's of second-hand bikes gathering dust? That's what everyone said after Chris Boardman's world record. And after the London bombings. And after Chris Hoy's gold medals last Olympics. And after Mark Cavendish's green jersey.

It didn't happen then - why should it happen now?

carolonabike

I hope not, I would imagine at least some of them will be permanent converts.
I've seen a lot more people cycling this year compared to last, and the more there are of us the better it is for everyone. As a woman commuter on a road bike I'm a fairly rare bird up here but my hope is that when other women see me they think that it's something they could do too.

okeydokey79

I hope not, I would imagine at least some of them will be permanent converts.
I've seen a lot more people cycling this year compared to last, and the more there are of us the better it is for everyone. As a woman commuter on a road bike I'm a fairly rare bird up here but my hope is that when other women see me they think that it's something they could do too.
I think that with people being able to join more social rides aswell as commuting with the likes of sky ride etc(breeze rides just for the ladies) should help keep people cycling^_^ more people cycling less cars?????:thumbsup:

e-rider

crappy member
I agree that the more people cycling the better for all of us. Government might finally listen but it is still going to take decades to reach the quality of cycling enjoyed in places like the Netherlands, and only if the Government really get behind cycling and invest a lot of money too - which isn't happening right now. I doubt I'll see a significant improvement in my lifetime. I still don't quite get the whole 'car vs bike' battle that seems to exist in the UK - why are there so many nobs out there driving cars that really hate cyclists? What did the cyclist ever do? No hope really!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I doubt I'll see a significant improvement in my lifetime.
Go to central London. It's an infinitely better place to ride than it was when I started there 16 years ago. It's taken bombs, infrastructure investment, hire bikes and a congestion charge - and a good chunk of completely wasted money - but the key driver has been perception. People perceive it as a good place to ride because they see other people riding, as Carol says.
The effect isn't limited to central London either - the suburbs are now much better places to ride, with almost no effective money spent on them.

byegad

Legendary Member
I have to agree with the OP. A rush of buying new bikes to look like Wiggo then after the first real hill, on a bike geared for Wiggo the fact that it's hard work will see them off.

Linford

Go to central London. It's an infinitely better place to ride than it was when I started there 16 years ago. It's taken bombs, infrastructure investment, hire bikes and a congestion charge - and a good chunk of completely wasted money - but the key driver has been perception. People perceive it as a good place to ride because they see other people riding, as Carol says.
The effect isn't limited to central London either - the suburbs are now much better places to ride, with almost no effective money spent on them.

You aren't talking about Boris's superhighways are you ?

Anyway, I'm hoping they will drop like a stone as I want to get another roadie sooner than later, and not fussed if I have to wait until the crap weather hits again to get a bargain :whistle:

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
I agree that the more people cycling the better for all of us. Government might finally listen but it is still going to take decades to reach the quality of cycling enjoyed in places like the Netherlands, and only if the Government really get behind cycling and invest a lot of money too - which isn't happening right now. I doubt I'll see a significant improvement in my lifetime. I still don't quite get the whole 'car vs bike' battle that seems to exist in the UK - why are there so many nobs out there driving cars that really hate cyclists? What did the cyclist ever do? No hope really!

Being both a motorist & a cyclist,i can see both sides.
Plenty of bad & inconsiderate motorists.
Last night I saw lots of the usual cyclists,you know the ones that sit on the bike at a PEDESTRIAN cossing,press the button,then ride across.
Sunbury lock has a sign at both ends asking cyclists to dismount & walk.Very few do.
Not a perfect world,but two sides to evey story.

Top Bottom