Can't remove Campagnolo Power Torque crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
After 8000 miles the crank bearings are feeling a little gritty so I bought Park Tool CBP 5 and CBP 3 tools to dismantle and replace as necessary.

All looks nice and easy on the Park Tool "how to" video but I am tightening the bearing puller as hard as I can and the pedal will not come free.

Can a pedal arm become corroded onto the crank, and if so how do I loosen it so the puller will work?

Thanks

Have you taken the washer out of the well of the crank?

It's not always easy to see (but it is shown in the Campag exploded diagram on their web site) but it is easy to miss it - if that's still in there, the crank can't be pulled.

TBH, the Park tool isn't great - better to use FC-UT090, FC-UT095 from Campag and a Facom U.301 puller - this is Campag's recommendation - Cyclus and VAR also do very good pullers that we have tested. Both have a better track record in our workshop, at least, than the Park tool ... we've broken several of the tie-bars on those and ended up machining our own out of steel ...

OP
OP
Sillyoldman

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Thanks Graeme, I missed the washer totally. Thanks for the quick reply. All good now.
Had not heard about Cyclus or VAR tools. Just checked them out and there is hours of browsing to be done.

Top Bottom