Can't spin wheel after bleeding brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
If only one pad was binding, it would be that the brake caliper was not central to the dissk, however as you have written that the lever is rock hard (I am assuming this means virtually no play), centreing is unlikely to be the problem, it does sound like the pistons just need moving away from the disk, see if you can do this, it could be there is too much fluid, but I would be surprised.
Cheers GilesM :thumbsup: Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find there's too much fluid in the system.

Linford

Cheers GilesM :thumbsup: Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find there's too much fluid in the system.

Is there an air gap in the reservoir ? - if there is, then that won't be the problem. If there isn't and is as you think, then there will be fluid weeping out of the pinhole in the reservoir cap, and it will be absolutely full.

I don't make this shoot up just to confuse people. I've been stripping cleaning and rebuilding hydraulic brake systems for about 25 years on cars and m/bikes.

Take it back to the shop and ask them to sort it out if it isn't right. You paid them to do the job properly at the end of the day.

GilesM

Legendary Member

Sorry, I should clarify, if you can't move the piston away from the disk there maybe too much fluid in the system.
If the piston will not move away, try it with the top cap of the resevoir removed, (remember to have some rags to catch any escaping fluid) then when the pistons are well away from the disk, replace the resevvoir cap and wheel, pump the bake lever a few times and see how things go. If this doesn't work then I really do think you will need to look at stripping down the master cylinder and / or calipers, its actually a pretty easy job, and if you're as sad as me, quite enjoyable. If you don't already have a copy, this should help:

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Stroker45-21883EnglishWeb.pdf

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Is there an air gap in the reservoir ? - if there is, then that won't be the problem. If there isn't and is as you think, then there will be fluid weeping out of the pinhole in the reservoir cap, and it will be absolutely full.
There was some seepage at the front, but I thought it was part of the bleeding process.

Take it back to the shop and ask them to sort it out if it isn't right. You paid them to do the job properly at the end of the day.
That's what my wife said... I probably will, but given I'm comfortable with most other essential maintenance, I'd like to think I could (and should) look after hydraulic brakes too. Perhaps I should have fitted the new pads and done the bleeding myself in the first place :blush:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Sorry, I should clarify, if you can't move the piston away from the disk there maybe too much fluid in the system.
If the piston will not move away, try it with the top cap of the resevoir removed, (remember to have some rags to catch any escaping fluid) then when the pistons are well away from the disk, replace the resevvoir cap and wheel, pump the bake lever a few times and see how things go. If this doesn't work then I really do think you will need to look at stripping down the master cylinder and / or calipers, its actually a pretty easy job, and if you're as sad as me, quite enjoyable. If you don't already have a copy, this should help:

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Stroker45-21883EnglishWeb.pdf
Thanks again :thumbsup:

Linford

New pads will exagerate the problem as you have to move the pistons further back in risking forcing contamination and grit past the seals on the piston.

If you do have a go at it, cleanliness is next to godliness. The area you work in must be spotless, and the components must be sparkling when you come to reassembly.

Well, it's a few years old... whilst Cubist maintained it, I think Larry (theLoafer) won't have done any brake maintenance in the year/200 miles he owned it. Wouldn't have thought it would need a major rebuild.
Ah right, got you. As said, might need a good strip and cleanup then, a very satisfying and not too difficult a job.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
New pads will exagerate the problem as you have to move the pistons further back in risking forcing contamination and grit past the seals on the piston.

If you do have a go at it, cleanliness is next to godliness. The area you work in must be spotless, and the components must be sparkling when you come to reassembly.
Cheers Linford :thumbsup:

Top Bottom