Cant stop smiling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
This last six months I have been really lazy with my riding. Partly because I discovered fishing, and partly because of tedium, going over the same ground and routes time and time again. However, today, I took a serious outing on my off roader. An unexpected day to myself presented itself, so, last night I spent a couple of hours dusting of the bike, checking and mickling here and there and generally getting ready for an outing today. I left home just after 11, sun was shining, the sky was blue and everything in the world was good. I set out on one of my less taxing routes, not having been in the saddle much, I thought I would get knackered pretty quickly. But after the first couple of miles, I was feeling really good, the bike felt great and my lungs were not quite ready to explode, so I headed for a detour to pick up some more testing terrain. Well, long short, I had a brilliant days riding, really discovering the joy all over again. I didn't get home until well after 4, was totally knackered, havnt done a thing to clean the bike up, only myself, but havnt stopped smiling either. I expect the clean up at the weekend will soon put pay to that. But after a long soak and a bit of dinner, feel like a new man and cant wait to get out there again. :thumbsup: Have any of you got a tale about rediscovering the pleasure of two wheels after falling out of love with it.

Slick

Guru
Not really, probably not been at it long enough although for a variety of reasons I've hardly touched the bike for a month and already feel like I must be back to square one and all my hard work has been wasted. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy your story though, even if you are riding the wrong bike.:tongue:

I finished work at the end of September and had three great rides the following week in fantastic autumn weather. I had more long day rides planned but then I slipped a disc in my back and have been incapacitated ever since. Shame as the weather and colours, and quiet daytime roads was a joy to behold.

I won't be on my bike here again until the spring (cold and snow.ice here now) but hope to do some when I head off to the sun in early Jan.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Every ride for me! Even the the wet, dark, cold commutes have me singing hallelujah inside. I should be used to it by now, I even commute the exact same way EVERY time but once the pedals start turning my joy levels begin rising. I was even chuckling as I slid along the road yesterday after falling off on some frost! :wacko:

Never really fell out of love with cycling I had a bike but it wasn't really a passion then and whilst I turned away from it when I got a car (typical :shy:) I never really fell in love with cycling till I was about 27 or 28. I've been at it quite a bit the last 14 years an I have now fallen in love with it :okay:

mustang1

Legendary Member
As long as you don't have that silly smile Angelina Jolie has in most if her movies. Especially Salt. Then you're ok.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Seeing as this is in the MTB section, I do have a story that sort of fits.

I've never ridden a MTB, but a couple of years ago I was holidaying in a cottage in Sweden, and there were a couple of MTBs in the shed. Not amazingly well maintained, rather old, and the one I chose was a bit small for me. Anyway I took it out for a blast around the nearby forest tracks, some cinder, some mud, and really put in maximum effort. What amazing fun! And what a contrast to my usual riding. As you say "couldn't stop smiling".

Salar

A fish out of water
I remember years ago riding in the snow to the top of a hill in the forests, silent and not a footprint to be seen, scenery was wonderful, not a soul anywhere.

Close to the top a vixen was playing in the snow with her cubs, I'll always remember that. :smile:

Once reaching the peak I took an alternative downhill track in the snow, front wheel drops into a hole, I slide and hit a tree, I remember that too. :rolleyes:

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I used to ride my BMX a lot in my early teens but as I got older I rode my bike less and less before it ended up having a period of hibernation in the shed. For the life of me, I can't remember what happened to my old gold Mongoose but I had some good times on that bike.

Cut forward to eight years later and I'd lost everything. I found a part time job and my mum got me a cheap mountain bike from Halfords as a present. I used the bike for my 7-mile commute for about six months before I got a car and the bike ended up in the shed, where it still is to this day. Long story short I recently decided to swap the car for a bike and got myself a new hybrid although I'm tempted to get the mountain bike out of the shed and get it muddy.

GOAB

Top Bottom