? Can't tell where noise is coming from or is it the hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Yes. I suffered similar noises that you're describing after one of my front pads fell out. This meant that the piston on that side came into direct contact with the disc during braking.
(The cause of the detached pad was the mechanic at H.alfords forgetting to install the split pin. Idiot.) There's a slim possibility that the teen dislodged yours when he kicked the bike. Have you checked that all pads are present?
Thanks I’ll check when I’m back home but can that cause the wheel to get stuck as well then? Because when the wheel tries to spin it also makes that noise. Although it gets stuck halfway through the spin. Also where exactly are the pads in disc brakes?

si_c

Guru
Although it gets stuck halfway through the spin. Also where exactly are the pads in disc brakes?

Sounds like the wheel or brake rotor is binding somewhere, it should spin freely, if it doesn't then there is something wrong. Take the wheel out, and re-seat it see if that solves the problem. Also look at the wheel when it's spinning, is there any lateral motion? When the wheel stops it's spin is the tyre touching the frame anywhere? Look inside the disc caliper there should be space between the disc pad and the rotor on both sides, is this the case?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Also where exactly are the pads in disc brakes?

You will see a similar arrangement on your bike as shown in the picture below.
The pads are indicated by the yellow arrows and should be secured in place by a split pin or safety bolt (arrowed in red).
Bear in mind that your pads my be more difficult to see than the high contrast example I've chosen. My own pads are black, inside a black caliper.

pads.jpg

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

You will see a similar arrangement on your bike as shown in the picture below.
The pads are indicated by the yellow arrows and should be secured in place by a split pin or safety bolt (arrowed in red).
Bear in mind that your pads my be more difficult to see than the high contrast example I've chosen. My own pads are black, inside a black caliper.

View attachment 437571
i

got wheel back spinning not getting stuck but now the wheel still makes a noise sounds like it's catching on something when it's not the disc

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
i

got wheel back spinning not getting stuck but now the wheel still makes a noise sounds like it's catching on something when it's not the disc

Sorry, it's really difficult to follow what you are doing because your description is so confusing.

Are the pads all present?

If the pads are ok, and the disc isn't warped, take the back wheel off and spin it holding the axle/skewer, is the noise still there?

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

How about taking it back to the shop which looked at the other issue recently?
I would but that shop is back in town and buses don't allow bikes and its not walking distance the closest bike shop is Halfords. (Which is walking distance) . But according to their website their all booked up this week and i don't drive. Cycling (sometimes buses) is the main way i get around

vickster

Legendary Member
I would but that shop is back in town and buses don't allow bikes and its not walking distance the closest bike shop is Halfords. (Which is walking distance) . But according to their website their all booked up this week and i don't drive. Cycling (sometimes buses) is the main way i get around
Is the bike actually unrideable then?

You could take the wheel off and on the bus if the wheel or disc is the probable culprit

You could call the shop and see if they could fit you in, don’t rely on a website to be up to date
Ask someone you know with a car to give you and the bike a lift? taxi?

Or take it to Halfords if town is too far to walk and none of the above are possible

The collective experts above aren’t clear on what the issue is and you aren’t able to figure it out, so at some point you’ll need to get tne bike to a shop if you want to ride it again. Which is exactly what I would do :okay:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I rember the axel broke on my old Carlton years ago and while the bike was stationary the back wheel was perfectly aligned but as soon as I started to pedal the back wheel twisted and the tyre rubbed against the frame.

Top Bottom