Can't wait!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugo15

Über Member
Well I'm off to the LBS tomorrow as I have decided it is time to start riding to work now the days are getting a but longer. Got some cash for Xmas so I am going to get myself a pair of SPD shoes and pedals, a set of lights and a deuter race X rucksack. Have the usual clothes and stuff and a lock. Any thing else I should think about?

Been checking out the facilities at work this week too. Large bike shed on right side of the security hut, found a couple of showers I never knew existed (I've only worked there 5 years!) and I have claimed squatters rights on a locker (it's massive too, must be 6 foot tall, with shelf and peg already in it).

Think I might start next Friday as we have an early finish so should get home mostly in the light. Not too keen to ride in the dark at the moment. Might get more confidence when I start the commute.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Just go for it the evenings are getting lighter all the time...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hugo15 said:
Think I might start next Friday as we have an early finish so should get home mostly in the light. Not too keen to ride in the dark at the moment. Might get more confidence when I start the commute.

Good luck with it Hugo.

Good lights, and some decent reflectives should see you alright in the dark - tbh, under streetlight commuting's not so bad at all.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Drying clothes - got any space near your desk for a fan or any radiators - a locker won't dry the clothes from the morning's run in.... very important especially if you get wet on the run in...... How far is the commute ?

I managed for a couple of months while contracting this summer, draping my clothes over my rucksack (under the desk) in an open plan A/C office - just about managed to air my clothes by home, but not if I got wet in the morning, - now got a permanent role with my own office, hot radiator, and a huge desk fan for not so cold days....

GOOD LOCK - goes without saying. Bike cover if bike not covered ?

Lucky bugger - shower - baby wipes my best friend.....

Keep all your toiletries in the locker - assume near showers ? Shoes at work, and maybe leave trousers at work bring in Mon, home Friday - depends upon job..... though.

Shirt, grundies and socks daily..ahh tie !. Coat / suit jacket - bring one in and leave at work - best by car though. Spare batteries in locker as well...just in case..

Rucksack - I use a Decathlon supplied one - has air channels on your back and a waterproof cover - Forclas 25 ...it's been fantastic..... it's not bike specific, but is suited for biking and hiking !

OP
OP
Hugo15

Hugo15

Über Member
Thanks guys. The commute is 9 miles each way so will probably take me about 30-40 minutes. It's quite flat with the first couple of miles on cycle paths and that rest mainly on 30 mph roads.

Plan is to drive on a Monday to take in clothes for the week. My locker is near the office rather than the showers but I am working on trying to get a second locker closer to the showers. The bloke I need to talk to refuses to return my e-mails, but I get on well with his boss..... so I might have to have a quite word!

There aren't any drying facilities. I share an office with 5 others and we are shoehorned into a space that is more suitable for 4 :ohmy:. Thought I would just hang my towel over the back of my chair to dry. Not sure how to deal with wet kit yet. Suspect the women in the office will moan if I have it hanging up to dry, but I don't care.

ash68

Yeh, good luck with your commutes Hugo15. You'll have to whatch out though, it soon becomes addictive and you may find yourself cycling to work all year round and in all weathers. It's a great way of getting training miles in and keeping fit.

Keith Oates

Janner
You'll be glad you made the decision to do the commute, Hugo15. After the first few settling in rides you will ask yourself why you didn't start earlier, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom