Canterbury to Jerusalem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Martin

A few weeks ago I posted a thread to ask for advice regarding a planned trip from Canterbury to Jerusalem. Thanks to those who responded.
Subsequently I have built a bike especially for the trip based on some of the received advice. It's an Argon 18 Ali/carbon frame equipped with Ultegra triple transmission. This was chosen instead of the planned SRAM Apex because it was cheaper and better quality. Cheaper, because the SL range is being deleted and there are some bargains out there. Bars are Easton EA 90 flat tops to help the hands. Wheels are Easton EA70's, they're not bad quality with plenty of spokes and again were going cheap at Chain reaction. Finally, the brakes are FSA- SLK's, another CRC sale bargain. The whole plot rides really well and soaks up the bumps and at £695 for the frame and forks I would really recommend the Argon 18 Radon frame set, which is their cheapest.
That's the bike out of the way so all I have to do now is save for the trip which at five weeks is quite a challenge, for me anyway.
If anybodies interested, Iv'e attached a picture of my new steed.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Your trip sounds amazing...when are you going? Bike looks pretty fabulous as well, nice work!

OP
OP
T

Tony Martin

Cathryn said:
Your trip sounds amazing...when are you going? Bike looks pretty fabulous as well, nice work!

Thanks Cathryn,
The plan is to go in Sept 2011. The purpose is to raise money for St Johns hospital for the blind in Jerusalem, the only place Palistinians can get free medical treatment. No political agendas just a good cause. You may notice that this is no classic touring bike, thats because we will be followed by a van with all our kit in it. Planned mileage, 70 a day.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Am envious of your trip Tony.

I had a huge question mark about the bike until you cleared it up with your second post. Good choice of equipment.

rh100

That bike is very eye catching. Good luck with the trip, sounds like a worthy cause.

How do you intend to cross into Israel as crossing a land border is problematic to say the least. If you have a Lebanese or Syrian stamp in your passport you are likely to get at least a cavity search at worst refused entry. Are you aware that you will need a carnet du passage for the van?

willem

Über Member
I am not so sure there will be an issue when you enter from Jordan. Ask the Israeli consulate (also not all crossings are open to cyclists). I recently lived, worked and cycled in Jerusalem for half a year, and yes security was tight but professional. If you are a Palestinian it is a different story, but that is not the issue. Going back in the other direction will be much more problematic.
Willem

OP
OP
T

Tony Martin

Catrike UK said:
How do you intend to cross into Israel as crossing a land border is problematic to say the least. If you have a Lebanese or Syrian stamp in your passport you are likely to get at least a cavity search at worst refused entry. Are you aware that you will need a carnet du passage for the van?

Thanks for your comments, we will bare them in mind. We still have a year to cross the tee's

OP
OP
T

Tony Martin

willem said:
I am not so sure there will be an issue when you enter from Jordan. Ask the Israeli consulate (also not all crossings are open to cyclists). I recently lived, worked and cycled in Jerusalem for half a year, and yes security was tight but professional. If you are a Palestinian it is a different story, but that is not the issue. Going back in the other direction will be much more problematic.
Willem

Thanks, all this stuff is useful and like the other comments, will be noted.

OP
OP
T

Tony Martin

mcfcbird said:
I'd be very interested in seeing your proposed route when you have it finalised. I'm planning a similar trip in the not too distant future.. Thanks

Could be a few months yet and who knows what the political scene will be in a years time.
If you haven't seen my earlier threads, we are proposing to travel through eastern France and then through Switzerland and over the Alps to Italy. Then down through Italy and across by ferry to Greece. We will then go down through Greece and get another ferry to Crete and another to Cypress. Then it get a bit tricky, do we chance crossing to Lebanon or go direct to Israel.
As you can see from some of the comments from other members it's a bit of a bureaucratic minefield, excuse the pun. We'll have to deal with this nearer the time.
Thanks for your interest.

Tony Martin said:
Could be a few months yet and who knows what the political scene will be in a years time.
If you haven't seen my earlier threads, we are proposing to travel through eastern France and then through Switzerland and over the Alps to Italy. Then down through Italy and across by ferry to Greece. We will then go down through Greece and get another ferry to Crete and another to Cypress. Then it get a bit tricky, do we chance crossing to Lebanon or go direct to Israel.
As you can see from some of the comments from other members it's a bit of a bureaucratic minefield, excuse the pun. We'll have to deal with this nearer the time.
Thanks for your interest.

Straight to Israel from the greek side of Cyprus, leave the van in Cyprus. Don't chance the Lebanon to Israel border.

Top Bottom