Canti Brakes Squealing - suggestions please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I know how frustrating squealing brakes are!

Never tried it but might different length brake blocks either side of the rim defeat the resonance that causes the squeal? I must try it.

Chief Broom

Veteran
I would like to sort this problem too, I recently cleaned my wheels with white sprit which seemed to stop the yowling brakes but a couple of days later its back with a vengeance. However clean they are now doesnt seem to make any difference and theyre so embarrassing to use its almost preferable to ride straight into a wall rather than apply them :laugh: Is it a black art like setting up a bike and sidecar....or maybe some incantations with a dash of holy water will do the trick... I'll take them of today and giv'em a scrub...see if that works....

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ah, ok, that makes sense, thank you.

So...

(1) shortening the yoke reduces the spread and MA but should reduce squeal?

(2) A second question- AIUI the MA is also changed by the height of the fixing point above the pivot (in mine above it's close to, but not at the top of the slot). So if I tried shortening the yoke, I could compensate somewhat by fixing at the top of the slot?
off at a slight but related tangent, I had an issue with Canti's on the OH's CX bike causing fork judder (they still stopped it but it was a tad disconcerting), I changed the headset hanger for a fork mounted "up hanger", thus reducing the vertical cable run which eliminated it completely.

if vibration is causing squeal, that might also be an option?

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
off at a slight but related tangent, I had an issue with Canti's on the OH's CX bike causing fork judder (they still stopped it but it was a tad disconcerting), I changed the headset hanger for a fork mounted "up hanger", thus reducing the vertical cable run which eliminated it completely.

if vibration is causing squeal, that might also be an option?

It's a very, very stiff tandem fork in my case, so I think it's unlikely fork judder or flex is contributing, unless I've misunderstood.

[Edit: what's an "up hanger"?]

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's a very, very stiff tandem fork in my case, so I think it's unlikely fork judder or flex is contributing, unless I've misunderstood.

yes stiff tandem fork should negate that. the OH's was an Alu CX fork with a fair bit of rake on it.

one of these....
1631608591593.png

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m7b0s101p1809/TEKTRO-Front-Uphanger-For-Cantilever-Brakes

the snail

Guru

The uphanger reduces the length of inner between the hanger and the brake, which is supposed to reduce squeal, nothing to do with the fork construction.

Top Bottom