Cantis: Tektro Oryx vs CR720?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
None of my bikes stay original for long.....

Looking forward to picking up my brand new Crixius CX tomorrow evening which comes with what look like Tektro CR720 cantis (spec just says "Tektro")

But...as it happens I picked up 2 old clunkers today for peanuts and one old rusty Raleigh MTB-shaped-object has an almost brand spank new set of Tektro Oryx cantis. Winner - even used worth double what I paid for both bikes!

Anyone any idea how the two Tektros compare as I do feel inclined to put these Oryx on the new CX

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I swapped Oryx for CR520s. They are both mediocre but the CR520s are less fussy about geometry, as are all wide-profile cantis. You have to upgrade to really good pads like Kool-Stop salmons and then they will almost stop a loaded touring bike.

I think the problem is that your average drop bar lever has a sub-optimal cable pull for cantis. I have some old Shimano DX/XT cantis (low-profile like Oryx) on my Cinder Cone with really old-school DX 4-finger flat bar levers. Those brakes can rip your face off.

Slioch

Guru
I ran Tektro Oryx's on my touring bike for a number of years, and was totally underwhelmed by their stopping power, especially in the wet when fully loaded. Had a few close calls.

I eventually swapped them for a set of Shimano BR-CX50's last year. The difference is huge. I wouldn't go back to Tektro's through choice.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I wonder what the exact pull ratio of those is? They say they're optimised for Super SLR levers. IME the CR520s feel very firm with SLR levers, which means the brake has too much movement (rim clearance is certainly generous) and not enough mechanical advantage. With wide-profile brakes, lowering the straddle does nothing much to improve MA.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
You can get reasonable stopping power from Oryx's IF set up correctly. Good brake pads, well oiled cables and having an old fashioned straddle cable as low as humanly possible to the tyre. You'd need something between tyre and cable though incase the main cable snaps. Even then they aren't brilliant.
I gave up on the bloody things and fitted V-brakes.
The 720's I believe offer a bit more power due to the arm design and length.

iandg

Legendary Member
You can get reasonable stopping power from Oryx's IF set up correctly. Good brake pads, well oiled cables and having an old fashioned straddle cable as low as humanly possible to the tyre. You'd need something between tyre and cable though incase the main cable snaps. Even then they aren't brilliant.
I gave up on the bloody things and fitted V-brakes.
The 720's I believe offer a bit more power due to the arm design and length.

+1

I fitted the 720s when I first built up my Cross-Check. Now using V-brakes. A big improvement.

Top Bottom