Canti's vs Mini V's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alun

Guru
What I do is let the air out completely before I remove the wheel and then I always manage to squeeze it through but I do it gently.
I have to do that with my 35mm (actually 32mm) tyres, but it's a faff, I'm back to using 28mm tyres which just squeeze through, esp when toeing in the pads steals a couple more mm.
Have you got more than one washer on the pad side of the arm? If you have, could you remove one and still meet cable set up criteria?
It's the pads which catch on the forks/seatstays and prevent the arms "flipping" wide open, so unfortunately washers wouldn't alter that.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have to do that with my 35mm (actually 32mm) tyres, but it's a faff, I'm back to using 28mm tyres which just squeeze through, esp when toeing in the pads steals a couple more mm.
It's the pads which catch on the forks/seatstays and prevent the arms "flipping" wide open, so unfortunately washers wouldn't alter that.

Ignore me - dopey moment!

Eljay76

I have to do that with my 35mm (actually 32mm) tyres, but it's a faff, I'm back to using 28mm tyres which just squeeze through, esp when toeing in the pads steals a couple more mm..

Actually I have 28s. I do it gently but they go thru rather quick, so it's not a big hassle to get my wheel off.

Moss

4ZA Mini V's with Ultegra Levers on my Ridley X-Ride. There is quite a bit of lever travel when braking on the drops! But when braking while hands are positioned on the hoods, the travel is a lot less; and the bite reaction is quicker.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
4ZA Mini V's with Ultegra Levers on my Ridley X-Ride. There is quite a bit of lever travel when braking on the drops! But when braking while hands are positioned on the hoods, the travel is a lot less; and the bite reaction is quicker.

That's a nice bike you have there. I quite fancied one myself (my LBS stocks them) but was advised that they are slightly racier than my Giant TCX1.

That fork on The Ride is a beast!

Moss

That's a nice bike you have there. I quite fancied one myself (my LBS stocks them) but was advised that they are slightly racier than my Giant TCX1.

That fork on The Ride is a beast!

The X-ride is Alloy framed Tripple Butted and the forks are carbon; it's reputed to be the lightest alluminium cyclo cross bike in the world? According to Ridley! Must say though - it's lighter than some full carbon bikes I've ridden. Only use mine occasionally; and only on the road.

D

Deleted member 22722

I've been running with the cheap standard cantilever brakes on my Giant since last November and i've never had any faith in them especially during the wet. I only use the bike on the road as a commuter. I did upgrade my pads to Koolstops which did make a big difference but even still, going down any incline in the wet necessitated me keeping the brakes pretty much full on to guarantee I could stop at the bottom.

Finally bit the bullet and installed some CX9 Mini V's yesterday. I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to bike maintenance (learning all the time) so it did take me a good couple of hours to get them installed and set up. Took them for a quick spin round the block yesterday and for a ride this morning and the difference is spectacular. There's so much more power with these brakes. Only time will tell once I ride them i the wet if they were worthy of the £82 I paid for them though.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I considered mini v's for my cross check but decided to go for Avid Shorty Ultimates with Swiss Stop Flash Pro green pads. I really like the simple old school look and they don't half work effectively. No squeal or judder. I have then set up on the narrow angle power setting and set them up so I can flip them open when I need to drop the wheels off. Very pleased.

VamP

Banned
I considered mini v's for my cross check but decided to go for Avid Shorty Ultimates with Swiss Stop Flash Pro green pads. I really like the simple old school look and they don't half work effectively. No squeal or judder. I have then set up on the narrow angle power setting and set them up so I can flip them open when I need to drop the wheels off. Very pleased.

These are great. I have them on both my cross bikes. They are, however, nearly twice the price of the mini Vs discussed herein.

Using TRP CX8.4s with ultegra 6700 levers and the stopping powers enough to lock either wheel, the CX8.4s give slightly better rim clearence than the CX9`s...

btw, wheel removal is simple ( mavic ksyriums with 35mm panaracer cinder cross )

Top Bottom