Canyon fork - hole for brake nut too small

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I got a Canyon Carbon SLX from the Canyon Outlet a month or two ago, and immediately swapped the 105 componentry over to a SRAM groupset from my old bike. In undoing the front brake, however, I pretty much stripped the Allen head of the retaining nut, which is/was titanium. Clumsy me, but I could tighten the nut enough for it to be OK.

I've since bought some new brakes, and these need proper torquing up, but the selection of nuts that came with the brakes are too large a diameter to fit through the hole. The only nut that fits is the one that came on it. I find this quite strange, and the guy at Canyon UK obviously does too, because I;ve been trying to get a new nut for three weeks with no clear answer.

It's a standard, right? The brake nuts for caliper brakes should all be the same outside diameter. The holes in the forks should all be the same? Why am I having this problem? Why has no one else had this problem.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I fitted Di2 to a Caynon SLX a while back and it was really challenging compared to other bikes I have done, nothing seemed to be quite how I expected.

Perhaps other Canyon owners are not experiencing the issues you have simply because they are not upgrading components in general?

OP
OP
T

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Canyon are now sending me a new nut. I was worried I would have to take a nut to someone to have it turned down a bit.

I also had problems fitting a new bottom bracket. Eventually had to fit it without the plastic cylinder, which I am hoping isn't the most idiotic thing in the world.

goody

Veteran
I turned down a nut once.
It was dry roasted and I only like salted.
Doesn't that plastic cylinder protect the bearings from any water that's found its way down there?

OP
OP
T

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I turned down a nut once.
It was dry roasted and I only like salted.
Doesn't that plastic cylinder protect the bearings from any water that's found its way down there?

Probably, but what could I do? I'm just hoping there isn't any. It's my dry bike :S

Top Bottom