Canyon Grizl 6 (Aluminium)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi All,

Canyon has recently announced the Aluminium versions of Grizl models. Grizl 6 price looks very interested and deliveries in December.

But, I cannot understand few things about bike specs:

1. Bottom Bracket - it's says Token Ninja Lite BB4124 PF86.5. Thread-Fit Technology reduces chances of bearing misalignment. BB86 Road standard, compatible with 24 mm axles.
So I cannot understand is this a threaded or press fitted bottom bracket? (Really not keen on press fitted bottom brackets).

2. Is says wheel size "28. What is that 28 size? New wheel size? As far as I know there are "26, "27.5 and "29 wheels sizes only. Maybe I'm not aware of something.

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
28” = 700c going on tubes & gravel tyres I recently fitted

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That is slightly odd, looking at canyon site it will take either traditional "road" 700c, which think is what they mean by 28", or the slightly smaller 650b wheels, popular as an alternative of gravel bikes for a more off road focus, which allow you to fit slightly wider tyres. Obviously as its disc brakes you can vary wheel size to a degree.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That is slightly odd, looking at canyon site it will take either traditional "road" 700c, which think is what they mean by 28", or the slightly smaller 650b wheels, popular as an alternative of gravel bikes for a more off road focus, which allow you to fit slightly wider tyres. Obviously as its disc brakes you can vary wheel size to a degree.
yes....
1634900898901.png

click link to ...
1634900935947.png

27.5 ~ 650b
28 ~ 700c

and re the BB,

its BB86 press fit compatible, so there are no thread in the BB shell on the frame, but ...
the Token BB4124 screws into itself so doesnt rely on "press fitting" the bearings per se.

https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-brackets/20-ninja/540-BB4124PR

It looks a lot better than the squeaky press fit crap that canyon used to use.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
'Token Ninja Lite BB4124 PF86.5' sounds like a computer game but is I suspect a cheap press fit BB system.
You are right to be distrustful but similar will be prevalent on bikes at this price point. Only time will tell if they're any good.

A link to the bike and specs might be useful.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
'Token Ninja Lite BB4124 PF86.5' sounds like a computer game but is I suspect a cheap press fit BB system.
You are right to be distrustful but similar will be prevalent on bikes at this price point.
@kingspirit
I suspect cyclops hasn't got a clue what he's on about. I would distrust any recommendation from him:okay:. To be fair, he mainly just recommends putting Schwalbe marathon+ tyres on any bike, which is relatively harmless :laugh:

I googled a bit more, this is from an independent site...
1634902817833.png

Their products seem to get good reviews and I suspect were developed given the rush of frame manufacturers to pressfit BB frames and subsequent creaking / bearing alignment issues. Token have come up with a product that gets around this and clearly canyon think so too, to spec it in from new.

Canyon's customer service and delivery times can be a bit hit and miss, but then their prices reflect that online only retail model

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

You are right to be distrustful but similar will be prevalent on bikes at this price point. Only time will tell if they're any good.

A link to the bike and specs might be useful.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/gravel...l-6/2708.html?dwvar_2708_pv_rahmenfarbe=GY/BK
Its a nice looking bike at the quite good price. But that press fit bottom bracket is the only thing that puts me off right now.

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

@kingspirit
I suspect cyclops hasn't got a clue what he's on about. I would distrust any recommendation from him:okay:. To be fair, he mainly just recommends putting Schwalbe marathon+ tyres on any bike, which is relatively harmless :laugh:

I googled a bit more, this is from an independent site...
View attachment 614601
Their products seem to get good reviews and I suspect were developed given the rush of frame manufacturers to pressfit BB frames and subsequent creaking / bearing alignment issues. Token have come up with a product that gets around this and clearly canyon think so too, to spec it in from new.

Canyon's customer service and delivery times can be a bit hit and miss, but then their prices reflect that online only retail model

Hmm, thanks, that is interesting. Its very good if its true, otherwise creaking press fit bottom brackets is nightmare

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Canyon make good bikes. Very poular in Denmark and Germany. This is something I will be looking out for. The front shocker variation is very appealing. I need a new bike after that moped destroyed my last one. This would make a popular all rounder.

In the 'highlights' section , it says 650B wheels for 2XS and XS and 700c for all others. Presumably the 700c models will also run 650B.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
2. Is says wheel size "28. What is that 28 size? New wheel size? As far as I know there are "26, "27.5 and "29 wheels sizes only. Maybe I'm not aware of something.

700c, 28", and 29" are all the same size, although 29" is often used to describe mountain bikes which will tend to take a wider tyre.

Some Schwalbe tyres have all three sizes marked on the sidewall.

The Americans tend to use the 28" designation, which may be an indication of where Canyon hope to flog lots of these bikes.

Top Bottom