Canyon Headset Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aberal

Veteran
My LBS has told me that the headset on my Canyon Endurace needs to replaced (they're correct- it's very rough) and that this can only be done by ordering from Canyon direct. I can't find any info on their website. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is this a known defect? The bike has only done 3500 miles - bought last year.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you can check the printing on the side of the bearings you should be able to get them else where - the LBS needs to check first.

kiwifruit

Über Member
I had to change my Endurace AL 2015 headset at the beginning of the year only done roughly 2500 miles. As the bearing has no marking, so I email canyon all they told me is an Tange sekei IS41 headset, not helpful at all. I can't find that anywhere, so I brought an Canecreek Is41 headset using there website recommendation. That didnt fit properly as it was leaving a 2mm gap at the top and bottom fork. Wasn't happy, took it to a bike mechanic he's sorted the top bearing, (can't remember what size bearing) but he couldn't get the bottom bearing. Still not happy with the 2mm gap. See pic. Let me know how you get on.

Attachments

• IMG_20151207_143003266_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151207_143003266_HDR.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 582

lpretro1

Just changed the bearings on a Canyon Inflite - they were hard to get out due to corrosion but judicious persuasion got them out and once everything was cleaned out and greased nicely replacing them was straightforward. Getting hold of the bearings is the hardest part for non-trade people and they can be very expensive - that problem may be the same for some LBS

Just changed the bearings on a Canyon Inflite - they were hard to get out due to corrosion but judicious persuasion got them out and once everything was cleaned out and greased nicely replacing them was straightforward. Getting hold of the bearings is the hardest part for non-trade people and they can be very expensive - that problem may be the same for some LBS
What size bearing please, I would like to get a spare for my Inflite?

lpretro1

The top bearing is straightforward - a 6707-2RS (aka 61707-2RS) - the bottom one is an unusual one as it only has a chamfer on crown race side peculiar to that bike - AC3748. If u are in the trade u can get them at reasonable prices but if not you will find them hard to get and expensive - Wych Bearings are one of the few who will sell retail from what I can see ( I'm in the trade so not a problem!).
U also need a tiny T6 torx key for the headset
Hope that helps :

Fab

My LBS has told me that the headset on my Canyon Endurace needs to replaced (they're correct- it's very rough) and that this can only be done by ordering from Canyon direct. I can't find any info on their website. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is this a known defect? The bike has only done 3500 miles - bought last year.

Hi Aberal. I got my top cap damaged and I was told that I need to get the headset from Canyon. The contact process with them seems to be slow. So, I am looking for options. How you fix it? What about you, kiwifruit? I also have a Endurace AL 6.0

Thanks!

kiwifruit

Über Member
Hi Aberal. I got my top cap damaged and I was told that I need to get the headset from Canyon. The contact process with them seems to be slow. So, I am looking for options. How you fix it? What about you, kiwifruit? I also have a Endurace AL 6.0

Thanks!
Hi Fab..Be honest I found that Canyon wasn't helpful at all. I damage the top cap on my Endurace AL 6.0 when I try the change the headset. I eventually took it to a local guy who repair bike (does lots of jobs for a local bike club through recommendations). He also change the headset bearings. From the start he said that Canyon headset bearings is a bit of a nightmare. As there wasn't any numbers on the bearings he measure yhe old bearings and the top bearing is 36/45, bottom bearings 45/45. The top fits good but the bottom still has a 1 mm gap. It's fine but I still prefer there's no gap. If you know otherwise please let me know.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Sounds like the difference between cheap and good value is becoming apparent with Canyon.

If I were the LBS I'd extract the bearings and races in their entirety, measure them with hernias, and then check those measurements against their stock for the same bearing standard with the closest dimensions. Surely that can't be beyond the wit of man?

Top Bottom