Canyon Hybrid crank lurches forward at low speeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Esankey11

Hello,

I have a six month-old Canyon Roadlite Hybrid bike. It has Shimano 105 R7000 front and rear derailleurs, a Shimano pressfit bottom bracket, and 105 hydraulic disc brakes.

I have noticed that the crank sometimes lurches forward suddenly while I am pedalling. The lurch is accompanied by a "clunk" noise. This happens about once a week (I ride everyday) and it only happens at low speeds. I recently took the bike to local bike shop for a routine tuneup and that did not seem to solve the problem.

I'd appreciate some help with this problem. I really love my new bike and I don't want to have to tolerate this.

Thank you!

C R

Guru
Hello,

I have a six month-old Canyon Roadlite Hybrid bike. It has Shimano 105 R7000 front and rear derailleurs, a Shimano pressfit bottom bracket, and 105 hydraulic disc brakes.

I have noticed that the crank sometimes lurches forward suddenly while I am pedalling. The lurch is accompanied by a "clunk" noise. This happens about once a week (I ride everyday) and it only happens at low speeds. I recently took the bike to local bike shop for a routine tuneup and that did not seem to solve the problem.

I'd appreciate some help with this problem. I really love my new bike and I don't want to have to tolerate this.

Thank you!
When you say that the crank lurches forward, you mean as if suddenly you had shifted to a lower gear?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hello,

Thank you!
Did you explain the specific problem to the LBS? If not the routine tune up will probably have been little more than checking brakes, cables, gears etc.

OP
OP
E

Esankey11

Hello,

The lurch (about 45 degrees forward on the crank) feels more jarring than a normal gear shift and it sounds like snapping metal or something. I'm concerned it is damaging my bike.

I did mention this specific problem to the LBS before my tuneup and they said they would take a look. When the lockdowns are over I'll bring it back I guess.

I estimate that I have ridden 800 miles since I've had the bike.

Thanks.

C R

Guru
lurch (about 45 degrees forward on the crank) feels more jarring than a normal gear shift and it sounds like snapping metal or something. I'm concerned it is damaging my bike.
That would correspond with you putting the most power, if the chain happened to jump between gears at the back I would expect a loud clang there. Why it happens is the question.

ETA, or as @ianrauk says, it could be the freehub, which if the bike was bought new it would be a warranty job.

Top Bottom