Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What size frame is that then? I'm 6'1" with a 33" inside leg and worry about ordering the wrong size frame.
58 / large. The seat tube is actually 57cm and the next frame down is a drop to 54.5cm with a top tube length of 54.9 from 56.6

DelB

Thanks Gaz. That's quite a difference between the sizes, eh? :ohmy:

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Thanks Gaz. That's quite a difference between the sizes, eh? :ohmy:
Indeed, which is why I went for the 58 in the first place. At least the top tube doesn't change as much as the seat tube. I'm not too bothered about showing a load of seat tube as long as the bars are still at a comfortable height.

I didn't change the saddle height from that picture as it was near bang on, so can comfortably go down a bit.

goody

Veteran
I fear from my ride today that the bike is a bit too big for me. I've got the saddle as far forward as possible and my knee isn't over the pedal at 3 o'clock.
Maybe I'm not thinking straight (cider) but is the seat tube angle different on the smaller frame? If the height of the saddle is the same on both frame sizes wouldn't your knee be in the same position relative to the pedal on both?
Nice looking bike though.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Maybe I'm not thinking straight (cider) but is the seat tube angle different on the smaller frame? If the height of the saddle is the same on both frame sizes wouldn't your knee be in the same position relative to the pedal on both?
Nice looking bike though.
You make a good point. Seat tube angle is the same. Distance from top of the seat tube to the bottom bracket along a horizontal plane is smaller on a smaller frame. ( these numbers are taken from the Canon geometry chart, so may not apply to other bikes).

I could essentially fix the problem by going down a crank size, currently 172.5

goody

Veteran
What bike did you have before? If it was a road bike and you want a similar riding position I'd measure it up and find out where the differences are. To me looking at their geometry chart if you changed to the M frame all that changes is the top tube length becomes shorter and head tube lower and as the angles are the same for both the wheelbase shorter.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What bike did you have before? If it was a road bike and you want a similar riding position I'd measure it up and find out where the differences are. To me looking at their geometry chart if you changed to the M frame all that changes is the top tube length becomes shorter and head tube lower and as the angles are the same for both the wheelbase shorter.
Unfortunately my last road bike of a similar frame type was stolen, so no way to measure, also no geometry info online.

BSRU

A Human Being
This bike is on my consideration list for next year, excellent value for money but a little put off by the only six year frame warranty, frame sizing and some reports on the web about poor UK customer service.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can't imagine it being too far out as the seat tube angle is usually 73 or 74 degrees so shouldn't put your knee/axel alignment out. Doesn't matter if you got a smaller frame, as the seat height will be the same, but there may be a slight change in seat tube angle, but not enough to suddenly make it fit.

It looks the right size to me. Have you run a line down from the front of your knee to see where it intersects the axel ? (piece of string with a weight on end) Starting rule is directly over axel, but it's no "be all and end all" as we are all different sizes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Six year warranty isn't bad compared to many Eurpoean manufacturers. Only Trek and Specialized offer lifetime. Bianchi are about 3 years with shocking customer service.

Rando

Veteran
6ft and I think a 34in inside leg (that is a proper I think, I can't recall). I have size 12 feet though, which usually pushes my saddle up quite a bit on a lot of frames.
I come out as XL (60cm) on the Canyon PPS measurements and i am 6ft 1" but inside leg of 36 inches. My only concern with ordering an XL is the reach as the TT length is 58.3 cm and HT of 19 cm. If I go for a L (58cm) the TT length is 56.6 and HT 17 cm but I would have a bigger drop to the bars.
My thinking is get the XL but use a shorter stem to get the reach correct. Does this sound correct ?
(The CF SLX 2013 bikes are reduced now so even better value if they have your size available)

Reactions: gaz
Top Bottom