Canyon Urban 7.0. (2016) chainring and belt pulley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loweherz

Hello everyone,

I'm in a tricky situation with my 2016 Canyon Urban 7.0 (size L) and I'm hoping you can help me out. My local bike shop in Deventer, which is not a Canyon dealer, couldn't assist me with specific parts for my bike.

Recently, the belt on my bike was replaced, but it turns out that the chainring and the belt pulley also need to be replaced. Canyon indicated that it's a Gates belt set, but they couldn't specify a particular brand or type for the replacement parts. They referred me to you for more expertise.

Does anyone have experience with replacing these parts on a Canyon Urban 7.0? What brand or type of chainring and belt pulley would be suitable for my bike? Any suggestions or advice are welcome!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You say your belt was recently replaced but believe you need to change the chainring and belt pulley (rear drive sprocket?) need replacing too. Do you know this to be a fact? I know this could be the case with chain drives but with a belt drive, I wouldn't have thought there would be much wear with that system. Is the drive malfunctioning in any way? If Canyon don't know what are the correct parts for your bike who does, maybe not a cycling forum? Sounds very odd. I should try to speak to someone at Canyon with rather more knowledge.
How about replacing parts the same as the originals? A chainring even if another brand should still be suitable if the bolt diameter pattern is the same and I imagine a rear drive sprocket of correct size should be a straight swap.
Somebody on here might have some info for you but it might be a long shot. I wish you luck.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Does this look anything like the part required?
10009129.png

https://www.canyon.com/en-dk/gear/b...canyon-gp7228-01-belt-tensioner/10009129.html

Hello everyone,

I'm in a tricky situation with my 2016 Canyon Urban 7.0 (size L) and I'm hoping you can help me out. My local bike shop in Deventer, which is not a Canyon dealer, couldn't assist me with specific parts for my bike.

Recently, the belt on my bike was replaced, but it turns out that the chainring and the belt pulley also need to be replaced. Canyon indicated that it's a Gates belt set, but they couldn't specify a particular brand or type for the replacement parts. They referred me to you for more expertise.

Does anyone have experience with replacing these parts on a Canyon Urban 7.0? What brand or type of chainring and belt pulley would be suitable for my bike? Any suggestions or advice are welcome!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gates belts come in two types. Those with a centre ridge and those without. Called Gates Carbondrive CDX (centre ridge( and CDC ( no centre ridge. The one with the centre ridge is for performance bikes, the other for city bikes and the like.

Go to the Gates Carbondrive website https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/bike#products and look it up.

The belts come in a variety of lenghts and length is indicated by tooth count. You can count your belt's teeth and look up the code for a similar belt.

The chainring on your bike is probably made by Gates too. The website has adequate literary resources for you to figure out what you need. Then, find yourself a German or Dutch online bike retailer and order the parts.

Gates Carbondrive is too esoteric for most bike shops to understand or want to understand. Pity that, because it is becoming a mainstream technology, especially for e-bikes, where narrow chains and cassettes are totally unsuited. Don't be tempted to convert to chain.

I'll be very surprised if the belt, chainring and pulley really need replacing unless you've done a ten or twenty thousand kilometres on the bike.

Top Bottom