Cape Wrath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
Is it possible to travel to Cape Wrath on a bike? I read somewhere that there are no roads to go there?
Its a part of Scotland i've always fancied seeing.Anyone ever been there and can give me any info? Ta

suze

Yep, I've been to Cape Wrath a couple of times.

From Durness a short ride to the Kyle of Durness and there used to be a little ferry (check that the ferry still runs before you go) that took you over the Kyle. The road to the lighthouse is a "dual carridge-way", it has grass down the middle. the round trip from ferry to lighthouse and back is about 22 miles. I'm not sure of the state of the roads these days but when we visited a few years ago they were ok, passable on a touring bike with heavy road tyres.

But is a veryy do-able and a great detour, on a tour if you're staying in Durness

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Veteran
Yep, I've been to Cape Wrath a couple of times.

From Durness a short ride to the Kyle of Durness and there used to be a little ferry (check that the ferry still runs before you go) that took you over the Kyle. The road to the lighthouse is a "dual carridge-way", it has grass down the middle. the round trip from ferry to lighthouse and back is about 22 miles. I'm not sure of the state of the roads these days but when we visited a few years ago they were ok, passable on a touring bike with heavy road tyres.

But is a veryy do-able and a great detour, on a tour if you're staying in Durness

Thanks for that info. ta

Wardy

Well worth a visit. I did it in the early 80's on a Super Galaxy at the end of a memorable two-week trip up the west coast. The roads then were a bit pot-holed and I broke my rear spindle. Still managed to continue to Lairg to catch the train back to Edinburgh though. As I remember, the ferry didn't run when the Navy were conducting exercises, but that was 30 odd years ago...

theloafer

Legendary Member
hi alan
you sure can ....and now there,s even a cafe there :thumbsup: some info .. http://www.capewrath.org.uk/ its a bloody great trip we tried to do it in 2005 but ferryman said no weather was getting worse and he could not get back over to pick us up ....so we did the west coast 2006 and got lucky.. :biggrin:

larry

HillSpecial

HillSpecial
Hi Alan,

is the ferry cancelled a lot then ? The ferry web-site says cannot run at low tide either. If we go, possibly June 2012, we'll be on touring bikes - how bad is the track from the ferry to the cape ? Cannot be too bad as the mini bus uses it ?

Cheers.

Hill Special

HillSpecial

HillSpecial
Thanks for that info. ta

Hi all,

we may be up the Top of Scotland in June {2012} and if so would like to cycle to Cape Wrath - - and back !

Do you know how many cyclists can take the boat at once and what the 'road' surface to Cape Wrath is like - we would be on touring bikes, not mountain bikes.

I hear that cyclists used to be able get a Cape Wrath Fellowship Certificate, C-R-F, when they reached the lighthouse - but now it’s automated and there is no one there?

Has / will the cafe take over the C-R-F ?

Cheers Hill Special.

Paladin - York

is the ferry cancelled a lot then ? The ferry web-site says cannot run at low tide either. If we go, possibly June 2012, we'll be on touring bikes - how bad is the track from the ferry to the cape ? Cannot be too bad as the mini bus uses it ?

Cheers.

HS - Give me little while and I'll put some photos of the Cape Wrath ferry & track in the "Rides & Events" section of the Gallery.

Briefly the "ferry" can take maybe a couple of bikes depending on how many foot passengers there are. The track is ok but slow going. I did notice that the ferry set off from the Durness side just before the advertised time and as a result a family of three, who arrived dead on time, had to wait a few hours for the next ferry.

Paladin - York

Hi all,

we may be up the Top of Scotland in June {2012} and if so would like to cycle to Cape Wrath - - and back !

Do you know how many cyclists can take the boat at once and what the 'road' surface to Cape Wrath is like - we would be on touring bikes, not mountain bikes.

I hear that cyclists used to be able get a Cape Wrath Fellowship Certificate, C-R-F, when they reached the lighthouse - but now it’s automated and there is no one there?

Has / will the cafe take over the C-R-F ?

Cheers Hill Special.

HS - I've put a few photos in the Gallery - Rides & Events - Cape Wrath.

Alan, there are some pics on this link of a tour I led in 2004 to Cape Wrath from Inverness.

http://www.crispinbennett.freedomnames.co.uk/CapeWrath2004.htm

The ferry got all of our bike over there in three lifts, three or four bikes per crossing I think.

The Cape Wrath Fellowship Certificate (and nice embroidered badge) has for a very long time been called the Cape Wrath Challenge, and is administered by the CTC. Nothing odd at all, just a bit of fun if you want to apply for it. All you have to do is send them a pic of you in front of the lighthouse smiling, with your bike of course. I quite liked the quaint old expression 'Cape Wrath Fellowship', but times change, and so do the cloth badges.

Good luck

Gary

theloafer

Legendary Member
hi alan
i have found my pics of our trip in 2006..hope these help
applecross+cape wrath 138.jpg applecross+cape wrath 139.jpg
applecross+cape wrath 140.jpg applecross+cape wrath 143.jpg
applecross+cape wrath 143.jpg applecross+cape wrath 157.jpg
applecross+cape wrath 161.jpg applecross+cape wrath 163.jpg
applecross+cape wrath 164.jpg applecross+cape wrath 170.jpg

Attachments

• applecross+cape wrath 148.jpg
    applecross+cape wrath 148.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 223

TwoTired

1) AFAIA the mini-bus(es) and ferry have common owners so priority may be given to minibus passengers on the ferry.
2) Cape Wrath is an active military range. When something's on, it may be closed to cyclists. Weekends and August always? OK but check at other times with range, TI, etc

Top Bottom