Cape Wrath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, new member here, and as my 'handle' suggests, I'm the webmaster of the www.Capewrath.org.uk website. As such, I'd just like to clarify that the minibus and ferry owners are two separate people who don't have a common owner. The former, is James Mather (who took over late last year after the former owner, Iris MacKay passed on), whilst the latter is John Morrison.

With regards to the MoD range dates, I'm now (and have been for a number of months) receiving their advance notifications on when it's going to be active, and as such, I've been posting these on the Military Exercises page as soon as I get a chance.

If anyone has any specific questions about Cape Wrath, then please don't hesitate to get in contact with me (my e-mail address is on the bottom of each page) through the above mentioned website.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Just on the question of the road surface, Mrs Uncle Phil and I rode it in August this year. I was using a Moulton on narrow tyres (but with suspension) and had no problems, although it's not velodrome-smooth by any means. Take it steady, watch for loose gravel on downhill corners and you'll be fine.

The minibuses run back and forth, so if you had mechanicals, they'd hardly leave you stranded there - in fact there was a couple of walkers we encountered; she'd fainted, but the next minibus passing picked them up. The day we went, besides John Morrison's boat, there were some folk being ferried across by some rather attractive young naval ladies in zodiacs. Presumably guests of the MOD?

We read the excellent Cape Wrath website, by the way, and that's partly what encouraged us to add it on to our trip to the north coast. We'll have a write-up on Crazy Guy when I get around to it.

Thankyou Uncle Phil for those kind words about the website :smile:

After only picking it up earlier on this year and working on it (albeit, part time, and from a distance of ~300 miles away (James is a relative of mine, who lives in Durness, whilst I live just outside of Glasgow)), I do have plans over the coming weeks/months to enhance it with a lot more information/photos etc. So, it's good to hear feedback that people are already finding it useful and easy to use (something that I don't wish to 'break').

snorri

Legendary Member
Oh, I thought someone was angry with their cycle cape:rolleyes:
You can do better than that tyred.^_^

This thread reminds me of a work visit to the Cape some 20 years ago. We had a hired Citroen car with canvas roof which we rolled open to enjoy the unseasonsble January weather. We discovered the car handbrake was ineffective when it rolled off the road driverless, the door jumping off its hinges as it bumped across the heather like something from the Flintstones. It was with great relief that we eventually manhandled it back on to the road as the lighthouse was unmanned at that time and there were no tourists around to assist us. Happy days, and I got paid for the trip!

lpretro1

I'd have thought if you contact the ferry man before your trip you'd be able to come to an a arrangement with him to ensure he will ferry your bikes over - for an appropriate fee. He's not going to turn down extra dosh I'd have thought?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The ferryman expects bikes; it's no problem. If there are a lot of foot passengers, heading for the minibus tour to the lighthouse and back, he'll generally take them first, but as it's only a five-minute crossing, it's not a big problem to wait (unless there are midges!)

I think maybe there is a small extra charge for the bike, but it won't bankrupt you.

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Veteran
hi alan
you sure can ....and now there,s even a cafe there :thumbsup: some info .. http://www.capewrath.org.uk/ its a bloody great trip we tried to do it in 2005 but ferryman said no weather was getting worse and he could not get back over to pick us up ....so we did the west coast 2006 and got lucky.. :biggrin:

larry

Thanks Larry.
I thought 3 hours was a bit much...trip now only weeks away so looking forward to my first wee tour since 1988!

Top Bottom