Caqn Microsoft De-activate my windows?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi,

I brought windows 7 off ebay. It was in the sealed packaging but when I tried to activate it, it gave an error meaning it had been activate as many times at the code allows.

I have phoned microsoft and gone through the phone re-ativation thingy (type codes into the phone, then type what they say back into the computer) and it says that its activated.

Question is, could someone else try that code (if its a volume license) and microsoft knock my activation off?

Ta Muchly.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Never heard of it happening.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
It could just be that someone had it on their pc and reinstalled it a number of times and so you needed to go through the automated reactivation process.

Or it could be a volume licence in which case yes they could deactivate it. I have had a few instances where customers have come to me after they have bought pc's from various places and then got a message after a year to say the copy of windows was fake, in some instances it turned out that they had been sold a pc with a volume licencing copy of windows and the company they bought it from had stopped paying for the licence after the warranty period even though they had charged the customer for it.

Also you run the risk of buying a complete fake by purchasing that sort of product from ebay.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

Hi, Thanks for the quick replys.

It was in a retail box that was sealed, with the CDs inside (so not a download or pre install)

Windows does say it it activated, and nothing about any days remaining.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

So how come it was already activated ?

Dunno

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

Sound very odd, if it came with a pc I would expect it to be an OEM copy which would be a booklet with the COA on the back and a CD sealed in cling film type plastic.

If it works ok then fair enough but I would be very suspicious and would probably be tempted to ask the seller how come a sealed brand new copy was already activated numerous times.

Proto

Legendary Member
I recently bought Windows 7 for a home PC, but have acqured from work a higher spec PC which does not have an operating system loaded. Can I somehow de-activate the system from my home PC and load it onto the newlly acquired machine, or can I just load it up to both?

Top Bottom