Car-assisted paper rounds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trillian

surfgurl said:
The youngest Surf boy has a paper round delivering the local rag on a weekend. He get £15 for 3 hours work delivering 180 papers.
When he first started the round Mr Surf went with him in the car. They parked up at the end of each street and Mr Surf sent the boy off with his papers. The second week the youngest Surf boy got a shock as his Dad refused to go out in the car with him. That paper round took all day and many tantrums before it was over.

fair enough helping him get started and get used to it.

if it were my son, i'd tell him to quit moaning and build himself a paper trolly if the bag is too heavy!! :biggrin:

I used to deliver papers to the houses I could find and throw the rest in the bin.:biggrin:

bonj2

I did a paper round on bike for about 2 to 3 years. Think i remember going in the car every now and then but only occasionally, it was my bro who did that more, i refused. My other bro used to do a 'driving' paper round using the paper shop's own van which he would drive himself.

Fnaar said:
One old dear, 90yrs if she was a day, you had to GO INTO her living room and leave the paper on the armchair... only saw her once,

I had one like that aswell - (but she was always in the armchair)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I remember seeing the odd paper round with car assists years ago. Seeing quite a few flyposters advertising rounds round here. Most amusingly they are still keeping up the over 13 pretence. **Yawn**.

Car assists do seem silly to me, if you're going to do it that way you might as well have some slack-jawed smarmy deputy newsagent delivering them themselves in some van.

Abitrary

Always happened. Even when I was 13 some mad 18 year old used to do about 4 paper rounds in his car every morning before his job at Bejam. He was just making ends meet.

I used to shove as much stationary and confectionary in my bag while I was marking my round up and sell it to my colleagues at school - chocolate to the girls and tippex thinner (for sniffing) and marker pens (for graffitti) to the lads.

It quintupled my income from the paper round alone.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Car assited paper rounds? Lucky people. Come rain, shine or snow, or whatever other weather i am out. Walking around my paper round delivering papers.
Saturday and Sunday mornings i have a full trolley of papers. Evenings (mon-sat) i have about 16. Went down from 19 because the people are wanting to walk to the paper shop instead.
I have an old lady that often leaves me notes in the letter box asking me if i want a book. Which i politely decline.
For xmas, the tip was £2 and a book, that was "Questions that teenagers ask, and answers that work" She showed me it and i had to put on being greatful. Maybe that could go to being passed around?
I should have scanned in the forms that now have to be done, which have how long i work for, and what i should carry around with me. The ones i remember are hi-vis clothing, tourch, batteries, whistle/personal attack alarm and i think a hat was on there.

campagman

Guru
I did a paper round for three years when I was younger. In all weathers too, probably the first time that I experienced the bogies in my nose freezing during the winter. This happens more now I commute to work in the winter though. It just happened that my own house was on my round so my mum used to pay the agent for me to deliver their paper! I told her to stop but she insisted.

bonj2

I was once posting a paper through the letter box and out of the letter box came a cat's paw and scratched me through the letter box! ;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I used to do one in the morning and one after school before changing to do the free adds. Then used to spend an hour removing the ones that had not been marked with a highlighter pen, and dumping them, before delivering what was left. ;)

Top Bottom