Car boot sale.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Do you ever do one? We do one once a year or every other year, depending on how much crap my wife accumulates. Anyway, did one this morning and we took in £70, leaving us about £55 after expenses. Not a fortune but more than I had when I got up at 6.30. What we didn't sell is going to a charity shop tomorrow. Now we have more space in the cellar for the next lot next year.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Do you ever do one? We do one once a year or every other year, depending on how much crap my wife accumulates. Anyway, did one this morning and we took in £70, leaving us about £55 after expenses. Not a fortune but more than I had when I got up at 6.30. What we didn't sell is going to a charity shop tomorrow. Now we have more space in the cellar for the next lot next year.
So absolutely none of the "crap" is yours then ? :whistle:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I grew to despise car boot sales after being involved with an ex GF who was a bit obsessed with them. Weekend mornings spent being dragged out of bed at 4am so that she could get a good pitch in a rain lashed field and then spend the best part of the day trying to sell tat to people who wanted everything for nothing, was soul destroying.
I recall a major argument with her at one particularly slow sale when she went off for a wander and I decided to invoke my "low margin/high turnover" business model in her absence. This was somewhat at odds with her "set your price and do not waver" attitude. I was more interested in clearing the decks and getting the fark out of the muddy field TBH; but she was not amused when she returned to find that her dreams of being the next Michelle Mone were in tatters :laugh:.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We do one every so often. We will do one soon as we have stuff left over from the baby-bits business, just odds and sods really. We'll get some other stuff shifted, that we have accumulated over the last 3 or 4 years. We haven't done a boot sale since about this time of year in 2011.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I had 4 cycling related stuff. Didn't sell any of them.: 2 saddle bags and 2 sets of spd pedals.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Minus petrol to get there and back and wear and tear on the car =£38

Minus the mental anguish of having to put up with seeing more people on mobility scooters than you thought possible, and obese people in badly fitting clothes (who also seem to think they are Super Models or the most sexiest person on the planet!) =£0 :giggle:

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I grew to despise car boot sales after being involved with an ex GF who was a bit obsessed with them. Weekend mornings spent being dragged out of bed at 4am so that she could get a good pitch in a rain lashed field and then spend the best part of the day trying to sell tat to people who wanted everything for nothing, was soul destroying.
I recall a major argument with her at one particularly slow sale when she went off for a wander and I decided to invoke my "low margin/high turnover" business model in her absence. This was somewhat at odds with her "set your price and do not waver" attitude. I was more interested in clearing the decks and getting the fark out of the muddy field TBH; but she was not amused when she returned to find that her dreams of being the next Michelle Mone were in tatters :laugh:.

Its like everything else, isn't it? The actual thing itself isn't the problem, its the people!

screenman

Legendary Member
I think you may be better off financially not buying the tat in the first place. We have done a few when I had the car sites, a good seller was second hand car seat covers. Horrible things, not got a clue why they were so popular.

Top Bottom