Car bumped on roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was travelling home from my holiday on Tuesday when i was hit by another car on the drivers rear side. I was signalling to come off a roundabout when i was hit by the other car. We both pulled over and exchanged insurance details and took some photos. A policeman pulled up alongside,saying that he didn't witness the accident but he'd stopped to offer advice and take some details. We both passed the breath test and our insurance details were fine so he left. The other motorist didn't say much, i asked him if he was ok,he looked a little shaken.
What happens next? My car has a slight dent and some marking on the rear wheel arch,it's not too bad so i don't want to claim off my insurance with having 300 quid excess to pay towards any repairs! Should i approach his insurance firm or will they try and claim off me if i pursue it? I'm thankful the bump didn't lead to injury or much vehicle damage,and that my bike on the rear cycle carrier was unscathed.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Clear cut case of you being hit by another car, unless you were reversing at the time!
Tell your insurance, give them the other driver's details and keep notes on everything you have said and done regarding the incident.

Your insurer will take it from there.

colly

Re member eR
What's been said above.
The insurance industry works in mysterious ways. After a 50/50 scrape a few years ago I received a cheque in the post (4 months after the event) for 50% of the other parties excess. I suppose she got the same, that is 50% of my excess. I wasn't expecting it to be sure.
My excess at the time was about £250 hers was £500. So I did OK out of it.

Don't ask me, I have no idea what that was all about. :wacko:

MarkF

Guru
Make sure you inform your insurance company and ask for their advice.

But be aware that they will log an accident on your history, whether you claim or not, this might adversely affect your next policy cost. And, if you want the car repairing, they'll assume it was your fault, again affecting your policy, until they recoup costs from the other insurance company.

My car was hit whilst unoccupied and stationary, but, the hassle was so much that I bought and fitted the damaged parts myself and made no claim. They still loaded my policy at renewal time though, I'd had an accident. :cursing:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just let the insurer sort it out - it's stressful enough. Policy's do get loaded for a year or so, but shop round and it comes back down. Someone hit my car from the rear, just needed bumper repainting, but affected my insurance as well (full no claims and protected). Took an age to sort. No injuries.

Ciar

Veteran
I was broadsided on redbridge roundabout 4-5 years ago, by a company van he said it was his fault which it was, but as soon as it went to insurance he said it was 50/50, no witness so no choice but to accept the decision, so be careful they don't try that one on.

asterix

Comrade Member
I was travelling home from my holiday on Tuesday when i was hit by another car on the drivers rear side. I was signalling to come off a roundabout when i was hit by the other car. We both pulled over and exchanged insurance details and took some photos. A policeman pulled up alongside,saying that he didn't witness the accident but he'd stopped to offer advice and take some details. We both passed the breath test and our insurance details were fine so he left. The other motorist didn't say much, i asked him if he was ok,he looked a little shaken.
What happens next? My car has a slight dent and some marking on the rear wheel arch,it's not too bad so i don't want to claim off my insurance with having 300 quid excess to pay towards any repairs! Should i approach his insurance firm or will they try and claim off me if i pursue it? I'm thankful the bump didn't lead to injury or much vehicle damage,and that my bike on the rear cycle carrier was unscathed.

You need to make a substantial claim for the effects of whiplash obviously.

I was hit amidships by a large van on a roundabout. It was one of those 50/50 situations which had I been more defensive (as I usually am*) wouldn't have happened.

The driver instantly leapt out and took photos of everything on his mobile. My car had a dent and his van looked undamaged. Not long after I received a letter claiming thousands for the effects of whiplash!

I'd suggest you tell your insurer in any case.

* it happened a few months after I received a head injury from being doored. It had an effect on me although I had been cleared to drive by all and sundry.

The other bloke will of course say you pulled out in front of him and he could not avoid you so really no choice but to leave it to the insurance to deal with.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Whatever the likely outcome I'd still say 'tell your insurer all the details'.
Failure to do that could lead to them refusing to pay out later on when you really need them to. They will find out anyway if the third party reports it to their own insurer as it will all go on a database IIRC.

I have argued with an insurer regarding my premium increase after suffering a 'no loss' claim against a third party. My case was that the third party insurance paid all my losses. My insurer said that they had costs in pursuing the claim on my behalf. My response what that their costs were a part of the recovered claim and so was at no expense to them. My premium was reduce back to where it was before.

Top Bottom