Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
My MKI Golf diesel blew the seal on the oil filter for reasons I never ascertained, drenched the engine bay in oil and oddly enough, didn't bring on the the oil light. I was wondering why there was a smell of hot oil and then the engine started knocking so I pulled over.

A new filter fitted and topped up with oil, it knocked on start-up but quietened down and was fine for another 60 odd thousand miles. It's still runs fine, just sitting in a shed awaiting me to find the money for restoration.
Not really trying, many years ago was at a site in Bradford doing a repair on an electric reach fork truck, driver of their LPG powered counterbalance truck drives across and says "this things making a funny noise, listen" at which point he floors the accelerator then lets go the knocking and banging was from the engine was horrendous as the revs dropped off, on checking it the dipstick was bone dry, the engine took 4 litres of oil, the engines in these things would take just over 4 litres for an oil & filter change! most surprising of all was that it saw out the last 3 years of the hire contract with no engine wear faults at all.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Dressed the electrodes and re-gapped the plugs in the Civic a while ago as I'm too tight to replace them unless absolutely necessary..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dressed the electrodes and re-gapped the plugs in the Civic a while ago as I'm too tight to replace them unless absolutely necessary..

Not touched the plugs in MrsF's petrol Qashqai as they are under a whole load of stuff (not just a cover), and the throttle sensor or some such needs a reset after all the gubbins comes out. Done everything else on it.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Not touched the plugs in MrsF's petrol Qashqai as they are under a whole load of stuff (not just a cover), and the throttle sensor or some such needs a reset after all the gubbins comes out. Done everything else on it.

Sounds like yet another reason to avoid "modern" cars :sad:

Hicky

Guru
The Volvo has had a few issues developed over the past few years that I’ve lived with.
Why is dealing with breakers or marketplace a nightmare of silly prices or plain scams!!??😤
Anyway, my drivers window has never really worked well, eventually it’s given up the ghost. I expected the blue clips to have failed but nope, the regulator arm is mangled…I’m assuming the previous owner has had a go as it’s been riveted back in(retaining clips on backwards🙄) and half the door card pins damaged.
I recovered the a pillar trim in summer, the heat has had the effect of ungluing them…I’m now in search of replacements….again see idiot scammers. 🙄☹️

Just cleaned them up with a tiny file as they were pretty burnt / eroded. Will keep an eye on the economy, if it's not great I'll replace the plugs..

ah OK, yeah I was wondering. I think in my youth I used sandpaper. these days tho, with iridium plugs, they say to not touch them

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The Volvo has had a few issues developed over the past few years that I’ve lived with.
Why is dealing with breakers or marketplace a nightmare of silly prices or plain scams!!??😤

Oh aye, breakers take the pees. Years ago I needed a set of electric window switches for a Peugeot, the master bank in the drivers door.

A nearby breakers had one for a bargain price of £80. Didn't seem like a bargain to me when the dealer quoted me £43 for a new part. I phoned the breakers back and told them but they wouldn't budge so I bought the new one. What's that all about?

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Oh aye, breakers take the pees. Years ago I needed a set of electric window switches for a Peugeot, the master bank in the drivers door.

A nearby breakers had one for a bargain price of £80. Didn't seem like a bargain to me when the dealer quoted me £43 for a new part. I phoned the breakers back and told them but they wouldn't budge so I bought the new one. What's that all about?
Maybe it coincided with a blip in supply (combined with dose of 'I know what I've got!'). Similar is happening at the moment because a lot of parts for a wide range of brands seem to be permanently on back order.

Hicky

Guru
Lord knows, the standard peeling a pillars in my Volvo will soon have the earlier but plastic trim. More sheckels than I wanted to pay but being in an obvious position it has a trade off.
Lakes Volvo, when selling me the pillars, “yeah these tend to be like hot cakes”.
It puts me off going for a 940 lpt

Jameshow

Veteran
Lord knows, the standard peeling a pillars in my Volvo will soon have the earlier but plastic trim. More sheckels than I wanted to pay but being in an obvious position it has a trade off.
Lakes Volvo, when selling me the pillars, “yeah these tend to be like hot cakes”.
It puts me off going for a 940 lpt

Have you tried Huddersfield Volvo breakers? They were good when I had a Volvo, but not a 940.

Top Bottom