Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
That's much better.
PXL_20240523_171836029.MP.jpg

Gunk

Guru
Gunk Frederick Salmonella, and you received the plate for your 92nd Birthday?

That was the year I made my first million

CXRAndy

Guru
A couple of years ago we had a random trailer light coming on after a huge deluge of rain. I traced it water had got into the trailer socket. I stripped it all down cleantand applied silicon dielectric grease. It came back after I used the trailer recently. It's been random, so I left it, but this week I decided to have a proper go at fixing it.

I dropped the rear bumper and under tray so I could have a proper play with trailer circuit. It's quite simple power into a trailer ECU, which talks with the car and a loom to the socket. After a bit of unplugging and reconnecting I think I found the problem. Tiny amount of residue corrosion bridging across the left indicator circuit. Enough to upset the trailer system and indicators. I've given it a thorough clean , used airline to get any remnants of grease from between the pins and so far it has not misbehaved. Started reassembly tonight will finish off tomorrow morning.

Disassembled state, which is far easier than I thought it would be

1000012471.jpg

Oh and cleaned load of road dirt from the undertray

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
The Clubman was never a big seller, 7 hatches to 1 clubman. I’ve always liked them, especially the earlier R55 with the strange suicide door. They really are a unique little car which are just a bit of fun amongst a landscape of boring generic cars.

We sold our 2008 Cooper D a couple of years ago and missed it so much we’ve bought another.

View attachment 731780

View attachment 731778

I had an original Traveller (not Clubman) and of all the Minis (well 3 of them) , it was my favourite because it was a bit different, even back then.
ETO 399C...

CXRAndy

Guru
My Mini failed again on emissions :cry:

This time by only a small margin. MOT tester recognised the car and said I'd done a great job of reducing the emission from 1600 down to just over 200. He suggested the cat might be damaged from excess unburnt fuel being passed through it.

I'd opted for a quick option, catalyst cleaner and a 40 mile Italian tune up to see if I can clear the carbon deposits from the catalyst

Here are the results

1000012502.jpg

1000012503.jpg

1000012504.jpg

Fast idle

C0 0.03 Pass Limit < 0.2

HC 52 Pass Limit < 200

:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Son was doing drop links on a mates 3 series last night (on our drive) and it appeared they were also doing an oil change and 'stuff'. Anyway, I woke up this morning and the car is on the pavement, freeing up our drive. Asked son why car was there, did something go wrong ?. He said, 'yes, I let my mate work on his own car and he's managed to sheer the sump plug off' (righty loosey). Fortunately son got it free with our extractor bits quite quickly. Friend has to go buy a new plug today before coming back and they can fit it. Fortunately there were four of them able to move it.

I, unfortunately, now have an oil patch on my drive !

CXRAndy

Guru
Good to see Cat cleaner does work then !

I'm still on the undecided, but there were thousands of positive reviews on it solving emission type problems. I think the 40 miles at 4500 rpm probably helped a fair bit. Plugs were super clean after, car purred at 3000rpm
For £15 compared to spending and time on a new catalytic converter, certainly worth a try.

I bought this https://www.google.com/search?q=cataclean+petrol+&sca_esv=84953f2cc9fe3515&sca_upv=1&sxsrf=ADLYWIL4FsrQZzhiRNUW4zyx7IuigFZ_3g:1717010873031&ei=uYFXZt3FAY-shbIP7vmmCA&ved=0ahUKEwidhqb5y7OGAxUPVkEAHe68CQEQ4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=cataclean+petrol+&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiEWNhdGFjbGVhbiBwZXRyb2wgMgoQIxiABBgnGIoFMgUQABiABDIFEAAYgAQyBRAAGIAEMgUQABiABDIFEAAYgAQyBRAAGIAEMgUQABiABDIFEAAYgAQyBRAAGIAESJQUUIQEWK0LcAF4AZABAJgBgQGgAcIFqgEDMC42uAEDyAEA-AEBmAIHoALiBcICChAAGLADGNYEGEfCAgYQABgWGB7CAgsQABiABBiGAxiKBcICCBAAGIAEGKIEmAMAiAYBkAYIkgcDMS42oAfdLg&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Btw the cat on my Mini costs only £50, which is a bargain compared to some modern vehicles. I was lucky the over fuelling didn't do permanent damage

Ahh, a good old DiskLok
I've had one for (probably) almost 30 years
A couple of years ago we had a random trailer light coming on after a huge deluge of rain. I traced it water had got into the trailer socket. I stripped it all down cleantand applied silicon dielectric grease. It came back after I used the trailer recently. It's been random, so I left it, but this week I decided to have a proper go at fixing it.

I dropped the rear bumper and under tray so I could have a proper play with trailer circuit. It's quite simple power into a trailer ECU, which talks with the car and a loom to the socket. After a bit of unplugging and reconnecting I think I found the problem. Tiny amount of residue corrosion bridging across the left indicator circuit. Enough to upset the trailer system and indicators. I've given it a thorough clean , used airline to get any remnants of grease from between the pins and so far it has not misbehaved. Started reassembly tonight will finish off tomorrow morning.

Disassembled state, which is far easier than I thought it would be

View attachment 732265

Oh and cleaned load of road dirt from the under the tray

There was almost as much body removed when my Kodiaq had the towbar/13-pin electrics fitted

Last edited:
Top Bottom