Car Fashions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It’s all crumple zones and strengthened pillars now to comply with the safety regulations.
If I was to have a head on collision I would pick a modern car over an old Cavalier.
We all know why it is done, but I question the safety improvement argument. Safer for who? The driver certainly, but stuff anyone outside the vehicle that the driver now fails to see from their steel safety cocoon!

Chris S

Legendary Member
Notice the size of the windows? The light floods in and you can see out, in all directions. My biggest gripe with modern cars is the lack of visibility from the inside out.
My aunt has a 2-door Fiesta. The rear windows are so small they can't be used for emergency access. Anybody in the back is sitting in a death trap.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My aunt has a 2-door Fiesta. The rear windows are so small they can't be used for emergency access. Anybody in the back is sitting in a death trap.
Brings to mind the joke I once heard while over there on holiday that you could fire a gun down the middle of a New Zealand provincial town high street without hitting anyone...and if you did you'd be doing them a favour.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Notice the size of the windows? The light floods in and you can see out, in all directions. My biggest gripe with modern cars is the lack of visibility from the inside out.

Try a VW Passat; the window area is good and you don't have that cooped-up feeling you get in other modern cars. BMWs are awful because you sit so low on the road, surrounded by black plastic. The fashion for driving with the seat right back can't help drivers see over the dashboard either.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hurrah! Agree completely.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cars are very similar nowadays as different manufacturers all edge slowly towards the optimum design. And I bet there's little quality difference, in the bought-in components at least, between a Bentley and a Ford.

Top Bottom