Car Free

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
martinwf5 said:
Easily said if you have the funds to purchase newer cars, i dont do hp or loans
Very wise - I'm the same (my only debt is my mortgage). I also absolutely refuse to buy new cars, as I can't see any sense in spending about 30% of the value of the car driving it off the forecourt.

At the same time, in two years you've basically bought the car again. If you could manage a bit of temporary rejigging, you'd save money and have a nicer car into the bargain.

I thought getting a car through an mot at £200 was reasonable
My car is nine years old. In the three years I've owned it, the costs of getting it through the MOT (aside from the test fee) have been £45, £0 and £0.

tordis

I've never had a car. In fact, I don't even have a driving licence, although I know how to drive, I just haven't got round to passing my test yet. Sometimes I think it would be useful, though, especially on weekends, just to go away from London for a little while. I could go away on my bike, but my partner's not a very keen cyclist, so I'd probably end up venturing out alone.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I went carless for a short period of time last year - gave up motoring for Lent and then carried on for a month or two afterwards.

I learnt that if you book a hire car at Hertz as late as you dare, then you are more likely to get an upgrade. I got a Focus and even an Alfa Romeo GT, each time for the price of a Fiesta. I also worked out that this was cheaper than owning a car, even if I borrowed one every other weekend.

I joined a car club (WhizzGo), and am still a member should I need to borrow a people carrier car.

However given my wife's health problems, having a car is virtually a necessity, although I would love to go carless again. Even though I love cars.

Top Bottom