Car Free

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Delftse Post said:
Yep - been car free for nearly 3 years now, although not for economic reasons especially. Just realised that we didn't really use the one we had very much so didn't bother getting one when we moved to the Netherlands. Hired a car for the summer hols, but apart from that we do everything by bike and get things delivered when we need to.

The Netherlands has something most of the UK doesn't. It's called reliable, integrated and affordable public transport!

4 lines of strip ticket from Delft to The Hague doesn't need a major bank loan!!!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Hilldodger said:
Couldn't do without my Capri, Citron H van and seven motorbikes:blush:

But they are my hobby and I do spend six days a week running cycling projects/events.

Drool......slurp......I have GOT to see that on Sunday.

D

Deleted member 1258

Been car free since 1979, Got rid of my old three wheeler after rolling it, swapped it for a motorbike, CZ175, that needed doing up. After a about twelve months sold the CZ and have been pedalling ever since

My car is beginning to become more trouble than its worth, leave it for 2 weeks it starts no problem but leave it for 3 and a bit weeks it doesn't always start without a boost. I only live 3-5 miles from work and there's always the bus in an emergency (its almost door to door) and I don't have a parking space at work (at the moment its free at home but eventually the developer will want 10 k if the underground car park is ever built) I do less than a 1000miles a year. There's a city car less than 1km from my door and there's one proposed almost immediately outside my flat. I think I running out of excuses/ desire to keep the car.

OP
OP
M

martinwf5

We did a breakdown of what we paid out for the car last year and it was quite an eye opener for the mileage we did.

We purchased a 2000 peugoet 406 hdi (diesel)
so here we have the simple breakdown for one year
£1400 car
£180 tax
£200 mot , if your lucky
£1560 per year diesel at £30 per week
£520 maintenance £10 per week
£260 parking tickets £5 per week
£450 insurance, 2 drivers one just passed test 1 10 years ncd

any left over went in the mot/repair fund

Total for one years motoring £4570 (£87.88 weekly)

I got my bog standard claud butler 2008 model at a reduced price of £199, 18 months ago, no repairs to date , only lube and cleaning £5
Total for 18 months £204 (£2.83 weekly)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I sold my last car in 1994, it was a MG, and I really don't miss all the hassle of owning a car, I prefer freedom. I didn't know that when I sold it, I was going to Uni and thought of it as a short term measure, by the time I graduated I found I really didn't want to buy another car. Just look at all the drivers you pass as you are cycling along, 90% are utterly miserable, why does anyone want to live like that?

I have toyed with joining the City Car Club, as a cargo bike is not really practical in a third floor flat, but I haven't got around to as I don't think I would need it that often, maybe two or three times a year...

rusky

CC Addict
We had 2 cars & sold 1 a couple of weeks ago. It had been sitting on the drive for 8 months so could have sold it sooner.

Don't miss it but couldn't do without a car with kids.

OP
OP
M

martinwf5

We have four kiddies, 1 in a trailer (11 month) 1 on a tag-a-long, and the other 2 are keen riders , so im lucky there quite active in that way.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
martinwf5 said:
We did a breakdown of what we paid out for the car last year and it was quite an eye opener for the mileage we did.

We purchased a 2000 peugoet 406 hdi (diesel)
so here we have the simple breakdown for one year
£1400 car
[...]
£200 mot , if your lucky
[...]
£520 maintenance
Christ, allowing £35 average fee for an MOT, and assuming the balance is work to get it through, that's £685/year maintenance on a £1400 car!

I would have thought you'd be quids-in spending a bit more on a reliable car?

Night Train

Maker of Things
My folks are car free but that is more due to the free bus pass :biggrin:
My dad is now playing with ways of putting a motor on his bike.

I wish I could be car free sometimes but I know I don't have the stamina for a decent length ride. Also a lot of my work requires moving more stuff then I could move by human power alone. A horse has crossed my mind.

I am converting a car to electric to reduce the direct use of fossil fuel though.

OP
OP
M

martinwf5

Ben Lovejoy said:
I would have thought you'd be quids-in spending a bit more on a reliable car?

Easily said if you have the funds to purchase newer cars, i dont do hp or loans as i refuse to give my money to car finance houses that make a killing on useless insurances and warranties.

I thought getting a car through an mot at £200 was reasonable,
i always have a maintenance budget of £10 per week just in case of emergencies ie: pump failure / gearbox failure ,

Top Bottom