car insurance claim query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've been driving 25 years and not had so much as a bump, until November when a van merged into me on a roundabout.

Short version: I believe the van merged into me and scraped my door; the other driver believes I merged into him. Noone stopped so no witnesses.

I told my insurance company and I submitted the claim with pics. They baically said "sounds like the other party were in the wrong".

I had a call from them later on to say the repair company were very busy and they'll contact me direct to arrange repair; I pay them the excess which is £350, and then I might get that back if it's found to be other parties fault.

My question is, should they know if the other party are contesting it? Surely they'd have been in contact with the other person's insurance?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I've been driving 25 years and not had so much as a bump, until November when a van merged into me on a roundabout.

Short version: I believe the van merged into me and scraped my door; the other driver believes I merged into him. Noone stopped so no witnesses.

I told my insurance company and I submitted the claim with pics. They baically said "sounds like the other party were in the wrong".

I had a call from them later on to say the repair company were very busy and they'll contact me direct to arrange repair; I pay them the excess which is £350, and then I might get that back if it's found to be other parties fault.

My question is, should they know if the other party are contesting it? Surely they'd have been in contact with the other person's insurance?

Don’t hold your breath regarding getting the excess back. I had a similar situation tho’ domestic rather than car. No doubt whatsoever of who was to blame but my insurance claimed the other insurance company refused to refund my excess. They may of course have got it and made up the story to keep more money for themselves.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have legal cover with your insurance? Maybe try their helpline for advice and ask your questions above to them as they are more likely to know surely?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Roundabouts are tricky when it comes to liability. Especially if people are changing lanes. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was put down as a 50/50 settlement with each party bearing their own losses as it isn’t worth the hassle of going to court over an excess where each party blames the other and evidence is weak. Your insurance company will be able to update you.

And for Oldwheels, domestic insurance is different to vehicle insurance. Recovering an excess is much harder as you have to prove a breach of negligence not just responsibility.

gbb

Legendary Member
I suspect unless the other driver admits responsibility, it will stay 50/50 and you will forfeit the excess.
A van backed into my previous car a few years ago, I witnessed it from a distance, ran and just got the reg number as van drove off without stopping, all info passed to my insurer.
They came back, owner of the van denied responsibility, owner may not have even been driving it for all I kno. My insurance co informed me unless the other party accepted responsibility id have to forfeit my excess.
Also reported to the police, they did their stuff and eventually, other party accepted responsibility...I do wonder if it was the lesser of several evils for them, something was shady about the whole thing...and particually the family house he came from...a known drug dealers.

Not the same circumstances really, if they don't accept, there's your no claims to consider too in the longer term.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
No witnesses. It will be a knock for knock claim. Your company will pay your costs less the excess and the third party likewise. You can't prove who is to blame.

A third part insurer will never admit liability until the last possible moment hoping that your insurers will give in.

You will lose your excess and if you don't have protected NCD you could lose 2 years no claims discount as well.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Thanks everyone. It's sort of what I thought, but someone mentioned to me what about if i just got my door repaired (if it's cheaper than the £350 excess) and hoped that the other party isn't fussed about claiming becasue it was a works scaffolding van. But I guess there's no chance of that, I'll just suck it up and maybe get a dashcam for my birthday

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Thanks everyone. It's sort of what I thought, but someone mentioned to me what about if i just got my door repaired (if it's cheaper than the £350 excess) and hoped that the other party isn't fussed about claiming becasue it was a works scaffolding van. But I guess there's no chance of that, I'll just suck it up and maybe get a dashcam for my birthday

As soon as you contacted your insurance company that was it. There was no going back I'm afraid

Top Bottom