Car insurance for 20 year old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The named driver thing only works if your adding a young driver to your policy, although you still pay a lot, its not as much, as she is only a named driver and not the main driver.

However, if she is the main driver, then adding an older driver as a named driver wont make much difference. Your daughter will still be the main risk.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The named driver thing only works if your adding a young driver to your policy, although you still pay a lot, its not as much, as she is only a named driver and not the main driver.

However, if she is the main driver, then adding an older driver as a named driver wont make much difference. Your daughter will still be the main risk.

Whilst that's perfectly true, it's not out of the question that adding the parent to the child's policy will bring down the price - daft though it sounds.
By way of analogy, I reduced my insurance premium by having fully comp instead of the 3rd party - now work that one out.

welsh dragon

Whilst that's perfectly true, it's not out of the question that adding the parent to the child's policy will bring down the price - daft though it sounds.
By way of analogy, I reduced my insurance premium by having fully comp instead of the 3rd party - now work that one out.

This happens when certain drivers take out tpft becasue it is cheaper than fully comp. However, the insurance companies noticed that a pattern was forming, and also noticed that these same drivers were having more accidents and in fact insurance companies were paying out more for drivers covered by tpft than drivers who were fully comp. Hence Insurance companies changed policies to make fully comp more attractive.

However drivers will and have noticed this, and it is ony a question of time, before insurance companies will have to re think the situation.

welsh dragon

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Motorbike? Like a pedal bike but quicker, unless she doesn't cycle then well..... There's no comparison to a car apart from the quicker part( Used loosely).
Insurance and fuel is much cheaper than any car.
My First year was only £616 TPFT £150 excess

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Motorbike? Like a pedal bike but quicker, unless she doesn't cycle then well..... There's no comparison to a car apart from the quicker part( Used loosely).
Insurance and fuel is much cheaper than any car.
My First year was only £616 TPFT £150 excess

Not so sure of motorbike economics being better than a car. When I had one it did around 45 to 50mpg, so little better than a small petrol engine, and slightly worse than a diesel car. Also tyre cost per mile was perhaps as much as 30% of fuel cost as bike tyres only last 4 or 5k miles. And you've got to pass a fairly involved test.

Still, am about to get another soon :-) As a mate of mine put it, I've just got myself a mid-life crisis.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I was 19 when I first got insured. £1.2k on a 1.1l Fiat Seicento X reg. When I changed my insurance to the Puegoet 207 57plate, it went up to £1.5k. But I only had to pay £80 for the months left. Renewal in November should be £800 with 1 years no claims.
The one thing that cut £400 off my insurance was having my dad on it. He has over 20 years no claims, and is 50.

I dont know why insurance would be as high as £4.5k. But the lowest I ever found was £900 on a 0.9l Vauxhall Corsa.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was 19 when I first got insured. £1.2k on a 1.1l Fiat Seicento X reg. When I changed my insurance to the Puegoet 207 57plate, it went up to £1.5k. But I only had to pay £80 for the months left. Renewal in November should be £800 with 1 years no claims.
The one thing that cut £400 off my insurance was having my dad on it. He has over 20 years no claims, and is 50.

I dont know why insurance would be as high as £4.5k. But the lowest I ever found was £900 on a 0.9l Vauxhall Corsa.
Who are you insured with Matthew? The OP might be interested to see if she can get a decent quote for her daughter.

Crankarm

Guru
How about a bicycle? I hear cycling is going through a golden period at the moment. Certainly cheaper than a car and infinitely better than pubic transport. It might make her quite fit as well as establishing her independence.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
How about a bicycle? I hear cycling is going through a golden period at the moment. Certainly cheaper than a car and infinitely better than pubic transport. It might make her quite fit as well as establishing her independence.

Very hilly, busy roads with no cycle friendly route and starting at 07:30, inexperienced cyclist.....erm, no!

Top Bottom