Car insurance lottery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
It's car insurance time again, and today the reminder letter duly dropped though my front door to remind me.
As you probably know the last few years for me have been hard going with dealing with personal problems and with everything going on, I had not bothered to shop around at each renewal date ,and just continued to let my existing insurance roll on..As each year past, it usually increased by around £20 which I accepted as no big deal over a 12 month period.
This time round though it's increased by a whopping £70!!. to a £420 per annum
I thought "stuff that" and did a search on a comparison web site for a better deal. After a quick input of all my details ,I've found the same cover for £190. That's a saving of £230. I couldn't believe the difference and went back to check that I had entered all my details correctly (which I had).
Why you get penalised for being a loyal customer is beyond me. Where is the logic in how car insurance works and how they come up with there quotes is a complete mystery. :-)

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Professional liars they be.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Why you get penalised for being a loyal customer is beyond me. Where is the logic in how car insurance works and how they come up with there quotes is a complete mystery. :-)
They are a business, they'll charge what they think people will pay. The days of loyalty to customers went when we stopped walking in the front door and became just numbers on a database.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
And that also goes for all the goods we buy. Nothing to do with the cost of manufacturing , especially new cars.
Designer clothes being the worst offender. I imagine the design and materials do increase cost a bit but a t shirt for £5 in matalan is not much different from an £80 one in holister.

Drago

Legendary Member
Car insurance is a joke. Mine was over £100 this year :sad:

colly

Re member eR
House and contents insurance is no better.
Had cover with Teachers Insurance for years and this year the increase was simply too much.
Rang them and was given the bums rush so searched around a bit and got better terms and conditions, less excess for about one third the price.
Big name company too.
Does anyone take out NCD protection insurance on their car insurance?
I used to until I realised I was paying something like 50 quid a year to protect something worth about 150 quid even in the most extreme situation of me having several claims in one year.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've been with Direct Line for a few years and they always come up with a ridiculously inflated price for the next year's car insurance so I either go through a comparison site only to find that Direct Line offer one of the best "cheap" deals, or get a quote from Direct line themselves as a new custome, save that and phone them up with the details and get a price match.

And it's not just insurance. I've had my automatic renewal notice through from Norton Antivirus - £70 so I've stopped the renwal and, at the end of April when it expires, I'll get the same product from them for £30 or elsewhere for £20 - £25.

Crankarm

Guru
Discounts for loyalty stopped years ago. If you do have your head in the sand and just pay a renewal every year then you are treated as a cash cow mug. Screw them for as much as you can otherwise they are as sure as hell going to screw you. And never allow automatic renewal. Same for mobile phone providers and utility companies. They are all crooks. Never bother with protected NCD. If you've not had a claim in 20 years and don't drive a flash car there is no point in protecting your no claims as you are probably not going to have a claim and if you do it's not going to cost a lot and it is not likely to be your fault either. These companies use fear to prey on customers to make them pay more to pay for the claims of the accident prone and feckless.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
It's that time for me too, I've just had my renewal quote from Hastings Direct and the price has increased to £359, I did wonder if this was down to getting a new car a couple of weeks ago (although same size engine as previous).
My wife went on a comparison site, input the same info, same excess etc and the cheapest quote was £292! The funny thing is this is also from my current insurer, Hastings Direct!

Top Bottom