car insurance write-off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs W's car was reversed into when parked in a car park, so 100% the other driver's fault. They exchanged details and we passed everything on to our insurers. The damage is a small hole and cracks in the front bumper, however as the car is only worth about £700 pre-bump I suspect the insurance will want to write it off. (Sounds a bit crazy having fully comp on a cheap car but it was worth more when I took out the policy and I never bothered to change it because it didn't save much going tpft).

The excess on the policy is about £400 because the kids are named drivers. If they offer me, say, £700, that means they will actually give me £300, no car, and I will have to try and reclaim the excess from the other party. I'd really like to keep the car, I understand I may be able to buy it back as write off but will still lose the excess.

Would I be better off just withdrawing the claim and keeping the car? If the insurers want to write it off, at what point does this happen? It's due in to their repairers next week for an estimate, do I need to withdraw my claim before then?

If I was to get the bumper repaired on the cheap could I get the other insurers to pay for it?

Thanks for any advice!

If you claim on your own policy, you will lose the NCB and you will lose the excess till the claim is settled.

Ideally you want to cut your own insurer out, and be speaking with the other parties, if they have accepted liability, they will often deal with you direct.

This means you won't lose your excess.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
We had this when someone left a handbrake off and their car rolled back into ours. We got a quote from a local Citroen dealer and the driver paid up as the amount was within their excess. If you go direct to your usual garage for a "non-insurance-job" quote then you may find the other driver will pay it up without any question of writing off.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Bodge car up..repair at a chips away type fix..or just make it safe.

sod claiming you will get hammered..
insurance on old cars is for 3rd party..not the banger..that just gets thrown away or filler and aerosol ? breakers for spare parts ebay etc

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you are claiming on the other parties insurance then your excess is not at risk it is the party at fault. If you are lucky then they write the car off, but you can ask to buy it back for a nominal amount (scrap value ish), you then get to keep your car on the road with a gaffer tape repair and have a few quid to spend on a new bike. Do not withdraw the claim - the insurance company know about it now so your premium will rise, no matter the outcome of repair/write off.

When my car had the exact same thing happen to me the local Fiat dealer said it would be full new bumper everytime as it so much easier than having to repair and then blend the paint back into the bonnet. The quote was >£1k!

I then went to the local paint shop and they pulled the bump out with a sucker thingymabob, filled and resprayed for around £240 which the other party paid no quibbles.

If the car gets written off it could be expensive to re-insure as it could get a CAT marking against it.

Thanks all.
Anyone know when the car officially becomes a write-off? Is it when the insurance company gives me the cash, or just when they decide it is?

If I take it to their repairer for the estimate, is it too late to withdraw my claim after that?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don't see why you would want to withdraw your claim - a write off is just an uneconomical repair, worse case negotiate a good cash settlement, you don't have to give up your car.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If he accepts a write off settlement, then the car belongs to the insurers.

But you don't have to accept a write off settlement, he can take just the cash. It is also possible to accept the write off settlement and then buy the car back - this can work out even more advantageous. I did this after I wrote off a Westfield, got the settlement, purchased the car back then stripped it for parts to make a profit.

I suppose the main reason I am considering withdrawing the claim is that the whole process is such a PITA. As I see it, my options are:

1. Withdraw the claim, patch it up myself or get it done on the cheap, and move on, although the insurers might up my premium because I've had an "incident", regardless of the lack of claim. Consider going direct to the other insurers to pay for the repair.

2. Go down the write-off route, with my £300 I then buy it back for the scrap value (£200 say), so I have the same car with £100 in my pocket. I then have to hope the insurers claim back the costs from the other driver's insurance, which would restore my NCB status I guess. Eventually I hope to get the whole value of the car back. I gather I have to pay for a VIC before I can put the car back on the road, the insurers might also be a pain about the written-off car, despite them knowing the circumstances. The Mrs needs the car for work so I'm also worried there would be a delay between the write-off and being able to use the car again.

3. I didn't realise I had this option, thanks Milkfloat, negotiate a non write-off cash settlement, much as with the write-off but with less pain.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The insurers wont want to keep the car, too much hassle for them, they will offer you the savlage value of the car.
Also, write off are put into 4 catagories, A-D. The most serious have to be crushed as they are structural write offs. A basic, non economic repair write off can be repaired and kept running without a problem.

screenman

Legendary Member
You will get £700 back as the other party is too blame.

You can legally insist on where you want it repaired.

Also when they make you a silly offer, and they will, turn it down and ask for twice as much. There is always without exception haggle room, from my experience that is.

Now if you would like to post a picture of the damage I may be able to offer repair advice. There are plenty of companies about offering pre painted pattern bumpers by post.

Top Bottom