Car/Jeep Horn Installed On 2009 Trice QNT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've got one on my trike too, also I have 12 volt indicators and a brake light, I run mine off a 1.3 amp hour battery

Last edited:
OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

For about the same price you could make someone poo themselves with an airzound !

I think in DB they're about the same. But on the QNT I couldn't think of anywhere I'd want to mount the horn that would allow me to access the button. I like the idea of the AirZound but not the design.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Great idea. I had full 12v electrics on my now departed Borealis, including indicators, running lights, interior lights and a motorbike horn. I miss the horn and have to get around to fitting a 12v beep beep. Do you have a link for the jump starter, can’t seem to see them for that price.

Totally unrelated, but I notice you’re using flat pedals. Each to their own, but you feel safe not being clipped in?

OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

Great idea. I had full 12v electrics on my now departed Borealis, including indicators, running lights, interior lights and a motorbike horn. I miss the horn and have to get around to fitting a 12v beep beep. Do you have a link for the jump starter, can’t seem to see them for that price.

Totally unrelated, but I notice you’re using flat pedals. Each to their own, but you feel safe not being clipped in?

I'm just preparing the trike for use, BP. I'll be changing the pedals. Use this link. There are ones as cheap as a fiver.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
I think in DB they're about the same. But on the QNT I couldn't think of anywhere I'd want to mount the horn that would allow me to access the button. I like the idea of the AirZound but not the design.
AirZound Performer mount small.jpg

Twist grip shifters like yours (and mine on my old Performer) can take a bar-end mounted Mirrycle mountain mirror, and the base of those provide a perfect mount for the AirZound clamp - with the button in the right place for your thumb.

OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

View attachment 448397
Twist grip shifters like yours (and mine on my old Performer) can take a bar-end mounted Mirrycle mountain mirror, and the base of those provide a perfect mount for the AirZound clamp - with the button in the right place for your thumb.

Hmm.. OK, that works. I'm happy with my hidden car horn, though. No-one knows it's there until I blast it. It does vibrate my butt, though! :biggrin:

OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

My debate (not being a qualified auto electrician..) is should I add an inline fuse to the wiring? I can't imagine that the occasional beep on the horn will cause a problem but in the interests of complete safety (ie. not damaging the power source) would anyone qualified to do so please let me know if I should, in fact, employ a fuse?

Edit - as I suspected, an auto electrician advised it as not being necessary in this case as long as the wires are well insulated, which they are!

Last edited:

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
I came across these instructions for a remote button to operate an Airzound some time ago. Unfortunately, it's a USA based forum and the supplier mentioned in the posting (McMaster-Carr) don't ship to the UK and, although I could find tubing and connectors on ebay, I could not find a suitable button valve on this side of the Atlantic without spending silly money or buying industrial quantities. Eventually, a friend who was going to the states on holiday took delivery of the necessary items and brought them to me.

If you want to try this project don't forget the 2 connectors at the end of the list. They screw into the button valve and the threads are of a size apparently unknown East of Cape Cod!

OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

I came across these instructions for a remote button to operate an Airzound some time ago. Unfortunately, it's a USA based forum and the supplier mentioned in the posting (McMaster-Carr) don't ship to the UK and, although I could find tubing and connectors on ebay, I could not find a suitable button valve on this side of the Atlantic without spending silly money or buying industrial quantities. Eventually, a friend who was going to the states on holiday took delivery of the necessary items and brought them to me.

If you want to try this project don't forget the 2 connectors at the end of the list. They screw into the button valve and the threads are of a size apparently unknown East of Cape Cod!

Interesting. Well done for making it work.

OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

Quick update in case anyone does this mod themselves: the momentary switch I used was too fragile and not waterproof so I replaced it with a better one:

BUTTON.png

This is a waterproof, all metal construction:
BUTTON-4.jpg

And here's the best bit. These connectors are far more reliable, easier to install and connect wires to and they cannot come loose once connected.
BUTTON-3.jpg

Just over a fiver from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GDMCQ54/

Attachments

• BUTTON-2.jpg
    BUTTON-2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 33
Top Bottom