Car question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've been looking round for a car. I have to have a roof rack for my ladders,but when i look up the prices and see if the car will accept a roof rack they say that you can't fit a roof rack to a car if it has a sunroof. Why is this so i wonder? I've found a Honda Civic but it has a sunroof. Could i fit a roof rack to it?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends on the sunroof. If it's a big panoramic one then the roof might not be suitable.

How many cars from the last few years actually have sunroofs? Apart from the odd ones with the panoramic glass. The opening ones seem to have disappeared with A/C being fitted to pretty much everything.
You really need to be looking for something with rails or fitting points running the length of the roof. Anything else may be a problem. eg. The Skoda Roomster outside - can't get a rack for it as it doesn't have any rails

[QUOTE 3786495, member: 45"]We had rails fitted on ours when we bought it. You can order them new with rails or get the dealer to fit them.[/QUOTE]
Was more of a 'how much??!!' than a "can't". And I was thinking of a previous car too (Alfa 156) -oops. Apparently involves removing headlining and dealers are reluctant as they only get one chance to get the holes in the right place, plus drilling holes in it could effect any corrosion warranty when paint is broken - not really an issue for new, as a factory option.
Not impossible by any means, but I'd rather buy something with the rails already fitted. Besides, now we have the Roomster we don't need any extra rooftop space :okay:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What year is the civic?

It's a 1997 1.6 automatic

Philh

Über Member
Yes. This car has an electric sunroof and no roof rails

image.jpg image.jpg

The sunroof still operates, a great plus is you can see the bikes from inside the car

irw

Quadricyclist
My car has a sunroof...and a roof rack, that I added (the fittings for the rack are built into the roof)...and the sunroof works fine! (2001 Polo)

SD1

I've been looking round for a car. I have to have a roof rack for my ladders,but when i look up the prices and see if the car will accept a roof rack they say that you can't fit a roof rack to a car if it has a sunroof. Why is this so i wonder? I've found a Honda Civic but it has a sunroof. Could i fit a roof rack to it?
Why would you want a sun roof in Accrington? I assume you are going to open the sun roof? I like the smell of pies but even the scent of Hollands Pies can be overwhelming.

Top Bottom