Car salesman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unfortunately our family has reached the point of needing a new car. Unfortunately the wife wants a MPV :sad:. Oh well at least we are a one car family.:biggrin:

Anyway I was at a dealership seeing if we could haggle down the price of a new car (although we will likely go for second hand). We reached a point in the negotiations where they started the old 'if I take any more off I will be selling it at a loss' routine. Yeah yeah. Anyway they produce this official looking data sheet showing what they claim is 'the profit they have to play with in the car during this 'campaign'. It says they have £200 to play with (We were at citroen by the way so there should have been an extra zero on the end at least :smile:).

I wasn't amazed by the tactics I know all about it (look here http://www.carbuyingguide.org.uk/car-trade-prices.php) but I was amazed that Citroen would produce such a fabricated document.

I know there will be a lot of car salesmen here :ohmy: so I thought I would ask: This document was a fabrication wasn't it? If so does the car company produce it or does the local dealership produce it. I just wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes........:biggrin:

P.S. I'm the sort of customer that they probably hate. I saying things like 'so your a charity then.....':biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Yes I took a drivethedeal quote (screenshot so not paid for :smile:) to one dealer. It was £5000 off the list price of the car. He is supposed to phone me back today to let me know if he can match it.

Haven't had my call yet....:ohmy:

A friend of mine in the business says that generally they have 12.5% profit to play with, and will go down to 2.5%.

Try looking at www.drivethedeal.com

My gripe with dealers is the part exchange nonsense. They talk like they're doing you a favour taking the car off you, when in fact that's two lots of profit they're about to make from you (assuming you're not chopping in a nail).

:smile::ohmy: When I got the Mercedes, I tried to trade in a Vauxhall Vectra. With some embarrassment they told me that they'd give me a £1,000 discount not to take the Vectra. :ohmy:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Does it have enough space for a buggy, nappies (a weeks supply of real nappies of course!), clothes for 2 adults and 2 kids, a multitude of toys, the two adults and 2 kids, changing gear, books, etc...... oh and at least one bike?

Oh and if anyone is interested I have a great condition Honda Civic 1.6 SE executive (full leather seats) metallic silver 03 plate car up for grabs. £6500 and it's yours guv'nur!

(oooh thats the second time I've managed to drop that in on one of my threads, a bit naughty I think! :smile:)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Twenty Inch said:
Get a second hand Citroen XM diesel. All the above and 45mpg too.
How many stars did that get in it's Euro NCAP safety rating? :smile:

There's the safety issue and the fact that my wife likes the gadgets :ohmy:

Oh and I saw a friend at the weekend driving one of these and I was calling it his spaceship. Couldn't loose face and buy one myself!:biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Magnatom, which Citroen bus are you thinking of buying?
Thinking of going from 2 cars to 1 bus and a folding bike :smile: and am looking into a s/h diesel C8 or possibly new, so interested how you get on.

magnatom said:
How many stars did that get in it's Euro NCAP safety rating? :smile:

They were unable to retrieve the dummy to do the assessment.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

At the moment if it is a citroen it would be the C4 Grand Picasso. Other contenders are the cheaper Renault Grand Scenic or my wifes current favorite the Ford S-Max.

I wanted a new Ford Mondeo as they are very nice to drive, although we obviously need 7 seats for.....??!? Oh yes the odd occasion that the in-laws are up and we all want to go for a run to the seaside.:smile:

Seriously though the 7 seaters probably would be useful and the fuel economy isn't half bad if we go for a diesel (~45-47mpg combined)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Patrick Stevens said:
They were unable to retrieve the dummy to do the assessment.

:ohmy::laugh:

I wonder how well that car would do for pedestrian safety. It looks awful sharp at the front.....ouch!:smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

If I was in your position I'd be looking seriously at the Honda FRV.

I had a look at it, and it just wasn't for me. Money is also a bit tight and the honda is just that wee bit more expensive (looking at discount sites).

Still thanks for the heads-up.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I notice no car salesmen have answered this thread! Do car salesmen ride bikes? Does anyone know a car salesman that cycles to work for example?

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
Does it have enough space for a buggy, nappies (a weeks supply of real nappies of course!), clothes for 2 adults and 2 kids, a multitude of toys, the two adults and 2 kids, changing gear, books, etc...... oh and at least one bike?

Are you having to sell your house to find this new purchase? :smile:

Top Bottom