Car speedo issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Might be the speedo itself, breakers might have one.
Though if you can be bothered to remove the dials you may find the fault, lose connection as i had on a pug 309 gti.. Along with many many other green dirty connections, car was brilliant after cleaning loads of them in the engine bay.
Micro file and wd40 are your friends here.
Or its a sensor, if it was a cable drive which i doubt on a 2002 Japanese car it would not be intermittent.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Might be the speedo itself, breakers might have one.
Though if you can be bothered to remove the dials you may find the fault, lose connection as i had on a pug 309 gti.. Along with many many other green dirty connections, car was brilliant after cleaning loads of them in the engine bay.
Micro file and wd40 are your friends here.
Or its a sensor, if it was a cable drive which i doubt on a 2002 Japanese car it would not be intermittent.

I'm thinking a dodgy connection to the speedo dial itself.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Is the odometer & trip meter still knocking the miles up ?
Have any of the warning light's come on ? ie engine management light ?
Loads on google but all different models

Yes, the digital odo is racking up miles and the division mpg display is still working so I guess the sensor is fine.

No warning lights on either.

The speedo was also working again this morning but its failed twice in a many weeks now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My analogue speedo, fuel gauge and temp are actually all digital. Wirth checking wires and if there is indeed a cable to the speedo.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yes, the digital odo is racking up miles and the division mpg display is still working so I guess the sensor is fine.

No warning lights on either.

The speedo was also working again this morning but its failed twice in a many weeks now.

Looking at your answer i would also presume sensor is ok , so could just be a dry connection somewhere

D

Deleted member 26715

AFAIK, faulty speedometer is a mot failure. Mileometer is not.
How are they going to find it not working? I feel it may come as an advisory if noticed.
Section 6.7 MOT regulations.
Our old horsebox went through 3 ministry tests with a non working speedometer, it only failed the 4th as I had disconnected it from the gearbox to remove the broken inner & not screwed it back on whilst I waited for it to be delivered. The guy told me that because it was obvious that is wasn't connected therefore working he had to mark it down. It went back a week later after the other issue had been fixed, still not working but connected this time & passed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had a Rover metro that occasionally the speedo would start clicking. The cure was to rummage round behind the dash, disconnect cable, pop some grease on the end and reconnect.

Things were so much more simple.

Top Bottom