Car tyres, wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm guessing that the first one isn't compatible as a spare for the second?

185/60R15

225/45R17
It depends on variables in your question. Your topic heading says tyres/wheels. Are you asking whether the tyres will be compatible on the same rims or whether an entire wheel (assuming the rim fits on the hole pattern in the hub and over the disc brake) will be compatible as a spare.

If the latter is what you are asking, then the answer is yes. Former, no.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It depends on variables in your question. Your topic heading says tyres/wheels. Are you asking whether the tyres will be compatible on the same rims or whether an entire wheel (assuming the rim fits on the hole pattern in the hub and over the disc brake) will be compatible as a spare.

If the latter is what you are asking, then the answer is yes. Former, no.
It's an old spare wheel from my former car which I was hoping to transfer to the new boot.
I don't think I'll bother!
Thanks to everyone who has responded.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I guess I'm slightly puzzled why you asked the question at all then, but hey, it was an interesting diversion :smile:
To ask those who know more than me about these matters, if it was compatible for more than a short distance or even for a short distance.
And now I know.

To ask those who know more than me about these matters, if it was compatible for more than a short distance or even for a short distance.
And now I know.
I seem to remember a wheely good quote about this matter...
"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave Brighton. No, Sir, when a man is tyred of Brighton, he is tyred of life; for there is in Brighton all that life can afford."

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've never understood space savers. So you fill the car with a bit extra luggage, taking advantage of the extra bit of room offered. Then you get a puncture and change the wheel, where the hell are you supposed to put the full sized one you've just taken off? I know Mrs SJ wouldn't be too happy if I plonked it down on her lap.

gbb

Legendary Member
On some cars, having different tyre sizes will indeed mess up the ABS or other monitoring systems. My DIL had a car in their garage with a problem to diagnose...i can't remember what it was now but it turned out the owner had fitted a new tyre , correct size, on one side only. Even that smallish difference cause the diagnostics to recognise something was wrong and alarm up.
Simple fix in the end but I wonder how many people have been caught out with that.

Top Bottom