Car usage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

pedallingpasty

jonesy said:
Why? I fear you've set up a bit of a straw man here, the OP didn't ask whether people had completely given up car use, nor suggest that they should. He merely asked how cycling had "effected" car use... And we have answered. Who is being evangelical?

Thankyou jonsey, this was exactly what i was asking.
Most of the replies seem to confirm that. But i don't mind vernons answer, its just given another side to the topic, wouldn't expect him to give up car or move house so that he can commute by bike. Personally i had to move 300 mls to get this job, bugger all in Cornwall in the early 90's. So bought house within a few miles. Its just how it turned out. But i won't be getting rid of the car, maybe just have another look how i use it.
I find it interesting that the majority answers so far show that people just started commuting by bike and using the car less because they found it ok or more convenient to do, the cycling was just another way to get somewhere. No-one told us to do it, we just did. But we also recognise we may still need a car now and again.
And up to now, no mention of being 'greener'.

longers

Legendary Member
My car failed it's MOT the same week I was made redundant and found a job I could cycle to. It made sense not to replace it and have it sat there doing nowt, costing money for days on end. Found I/we can manage quite well without one.

tyred

Legendary Member
I love cars and love driving and will use my car whenever I need to or feel like it. I feel no need to apologise to the holier than thou brigade.

DavieB

MIA
I use the car more than the bike, and cant see that changing much. In the new term I will be cycling to college, but thats only 3 or 4 days a week. Every weekend I pick my daughters up from fife. Thats a 200 mile round journey. My Mrs does not drive so I have to drive her back and forward with the little one, busses are not pram friendly. If I go into town I will take the car too, rather than chain the bike up in town. Bike is for exercise and commute.

mark barker

pedallingpasty said:
And up to now, no mention of being 'greener'.

I think most of the "eco" folks have realised that car drivers won't give up by choice, its just a fight that they'll never win. Since I've given up driving I have looked at the way my lifestyle could change to improve my impact on society and the environment, and I have made quite a few changes. Does this make me a "greeny"? I doubt it, but it has made me wealthier and fitter!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm not an eco-evangelist or nowt, but I do like encouraging people to use public transport and/or cycle... I just point out to peeps who have the same commute as me, and who do it by car, that I get there quicker by bus, or I actually enjoy the 17 mile each way cycle commute that I do now and then. :blush:

...and that if more people took the bus = fewer cars on the road, and hence an even quicker bus trip. But some folk just don't like the bus... see it as a step down from their aspirations... I don't care, I find the trip relaxing/interesting too, when you earwig people's conversations... there's a prison not too far away, and there's occasionally just-released cons on the bus, whose conversations are often very funny... mostly revolving around whether or not they can afford a pint, what time the pubs open, should they go to the pub before going home to see the wife/bairns etc... :laugh: I meet friends on there too, neighbours etc... and I get an annual ticket, so costs are kept low-ish.

macp

Guru
I still enjoy driving am a petrolhead at heart.I currently commute to work by bike 5 days a week and will continue to do so right through the summer.At this stage I dont intend to commute in the winter as 80% of my commute is on country roads with blind bends which worries me in the dark from a safety point of view.Have just spent half of my 2nd car budget on a new Specialized Secteur and am currently looking for a 2nd car with what I have remaining.

al78

Guru
My car use has dropped from about 12,000/yr to around 2-3000/yr since starting cycling seriously.

At first it was motivated by cost; my commute is on rural roads (some single track) which are hard on car tyres and suspension, and have since saved a fair bit in terms of petrol and maintenance costs. These days I try to minimise my car use for environmental reasons as well, plus I feel that in the next 20-30 yrs there is going to be a sort of reverse transport evolution, where car use costs will increase to the point where it will become the preserve of the wealthy, as in pre WWII. It is better in this circumstance to get used to mionimizing dependency on a car now, rather than having it forced on me in the future.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I haven't used my car in so long that i think there is mould growing in it. (that reminds me i need to clean it this weekend)
I'm going to be selling my car as barely use it. And there is another car on my driver that i'm insured to use.

crumpetman

I have barely used my car in the last 2 months since I have started cycling to work. If for some reason I no longer had the car (stolen, crashed etc) then I would not replace it but then I do have access to another car if I really need to.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
gaz said:
I haven't used my car in so long that i think there is mould growing in it. (that reminds me i need to clean it this weekend)
I'm going to be selling my car as barely use it. And there is another car on my driver that i'm insured to use.
You have a driver!? That's flash! But I reckon you should let him out from under that car...

U

User169

Hardly used the car we had in the UK and haven't bothered to get one in NL. In any event, the supermarket and our children's school cannot be driven to (only residents and delivery vehicles can enter the inner part of town), so we are pretty much forced to use bikes. Bike, train and metro for getting to work.

Top Bottom