Caravan gas systems ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the bottom corner of the fridge you should have a small plastic viewing hole, make sure that the 12 volt supply is on and turn the control knob on the fridge to the gas setting, press the control knob in & count to 8 then press the ignition button in quick succession whilst holding the control knob in, you should see a spark in the viewing hole and the gas should ignite, once the gas is lit keep the control knob held in for a count of 10 (slowly) then let go of the control knob & the fridge should keep running on gas, you will see the flame in the viewing hole. The control knob has 4 positions off, 12 volts, gas & mains electricity 12 volt is for use when towing only, you will need to have a 12S socket with a grey lid on your car, the gas & mains positions are self explanatory.
Propane cylinders (orange) are best for use with the caravan as it continues to gas down to around -40c but butane (blue) stops gassing at around 1c which will make you pretty miserable & cold.
I would personally get the caravan serviced there are some mobile service companies about and they will check all the running gear, gas and electric systems and will be qualified to do so.
Can I also point out that your caravan when loaded to its. Maximum allowed weight shouldn't weigh the same or more than your car it should be around 85% of your cars kerbweight, as you need a hefty car to prevent the caravan starting to weave about when on the road, a huge twin axle caravan being towed by an Astra or Focus sized car is a disaster waiting to happen. HTH

All good points and spot on.
I have a caravan that is about 16 years old and it works fine with all the gas units (fridge, room heater, water heater) working perfectly. On mine they all vent to the outside so the flame is not using air from within the caravan but draws it in and then vents it out. This is much safer as even if it was kicking out some nasty you have less chance of anything getting to you.
I would just add that on my fridge (Electrolux which they all seem to be) the viewing hole on the fridge is a round clear plastic window about the size of a watch face, inside the fridge down low. You need to look at the right angle to see it but press the spark ignition and you should be able to see that. Then try to get it going with the gas.
Best to hook up the gas and run the cooker first to pull some gas into the pipes. The fridge uses almost no gas so will not clear out the air in the pipe very well.

Just to add one thing to DRMs post. Tyres. When we got our van it still had the original 14 year old tyres on it. 5 years is about the max. They have a date on them in code. Replace if too old as the rubber breaks down, caravan blowouts are nasty and insurance may be invalidated. The size is not common for tyre fitters so make sure they don't fit old stock as it cuts into your 5 year life.

Caravans do add to the list of jobs but really I don't think they are much trouble and we really do like having ours. We tend to pop away for the odd weekend to the New Forest or the Chilterns. Chuck the bikes in the back, a bottle and a pie in the fridge and you are sorted!

Just to add to OTH's post, there is a lozenge shape with four digits in it.
Something like 2510 which is 25th week of 2010 for time of manufacture.
If it has not got one or is only 3 digits run :ohmy:

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated, I've had caravans before but have never had any need or interest in using the gas side of the fridge and always used propane. As we have been camping for the past 10ish years I ended up using butane, I never trustedthe gas being left connected it was easier as you can pop the regulator off at night. As far as the mechanical side of the caravan goes I can service it myself and as I had it from a friend and know it has been looked after well, it's a light weight van at 650kg so only a third of the weight of my car. He never used the gas side of the fridge which of course may not help with getting it going and in all honesty I may never do so myself.
Drm said in his post to make sure the 12 volt is on before trying the fridge is this the case ( I have no battery at the moment)

Thanks all .

Brad

Ah no experience of tourers, only statics where you get electric fridges, full double glazing and Central heating. :whistle:

You get all that on tourers now! Our van is only a little two berth lightweight and it is now fairly old but it is really comfortable and we often use it in the winter. Fridge Water heater and central heating can be run on bottled gas or electric hook up.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Right gave it a try on gas and now I know what I'm looking at have found it's all working (tested it on a warm can of beer!) now I need to find a 12 volt battery to test the lights as I'd like the van to be self contained if need be. My first caravan had gas lights and used a lorry battery for electrics (came free) which was great,kids loved thier holidays weekends in it and it was towed by a landrover with a diy camo paint job on it in true newage traveller style.

Top Bottom