Just had a smart meter fitted and my gas bill on the display is

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I've been refusing a smart meter from Octopus for the last 4 years. I think they have now given up.

So many people are getting angry with them never working so thanks but no thanks. :stop:

presta

Guru
The frustrating thing is that I'd quite like one if I thought it wasn't going to be a load of hassle.

classic33

Leg End Member
I once came home from work to find that the British Gas service man had condemned my water heater as unsafe, and illegal to use on the grounds that it was installed with less than the regulation spacing between the flue and the boiler flue below it. When I pointed out that it was British Gas that installed it, that the boiler was in place at the time they did so, and that they'd never said anything at any of the previous service calls, they decided it wasn't unsafe after all.

I once asked a service man to check for a CO2 leak because there were sooty marks on the wall around the boiler flue:

"What do you want that for?"
"I wouldn't worry about it, it's probably ok"
"...well I haven't got anything to measure it with anyway"
CO2 isn't what you should be worried about.

The frustrating thing is that I'd quite like one if I thought it wasn't going to be a load of hassle.

I have had one for year - no real problems with it
it did "go dumb" for quite a long time - several years - but all that meant was that I had to go and read it manually when asked
just like a normal meter

now that it is working again - which was done remotely somehow - I can use apps like Hugo and Loop to see what it has done and how much I have used
I can also save a bit of money during the winter when they have discount periods for people who use less than normal for specified hours

presta

Guru
The media this morning are reporting that 12% (4.3/35) of meters are 'faulty', but with little detail on what constitutes a fault, so I've just sent Ofgem an FOI request:

View attachment 725554

It's the non-evident inaccuracy that interests me in particular.

The reply:

"I can confirm that Ofgem does not hold further detail on the nature of smart meter faults
and therefore we are unable to provide the information you have requested."

Followed by 2-3 pages of general info.

Some up to date installation stats here.

1713524920421.png

Top Bottom