Just had a smart meter fitted and my gas bill on the display is

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I would sned an email or letter to them ASAP so it is recorded
Look up their complaints procedure and make it a formal complain as these are tracked - make sure you use the word COMPLAINT prominently (I did it once with a bank and didn;t use the word so it was treated as just a moan!!)

AT least then you have a formal record of the problem if it doesn;t settle down - and if it does then you have not wasted much energy

Hopefully it will sort itself out but just in case.....

Good luck

Woah tiger.
No need to make a formal complaint after just a few hours.
Give them time to sort it out. He’s already called them to register it. They have said it could take 14 days to work itself out.

I work in a regulated industry and this scatter gun attitude to formal complaints is a total pain. As there is a whole back office of staff employed just to monitor complaints. People will issue a formal complaint at the slightest problem, thinking it will get them to the top of a queue, when a gentle nudge would be fine. And the really serious issues get lost in the general notifications of dissatisfaction.
Formal complaints take twice as long to resolve and require all sorts of MI and letters being issued.

Gwylan

Veteran
I'm going for a bike ride now. At least I can say is that doesn't cost sod all 🤣

Just a matter of time.....before they work a tax out

a.twiddler

Veteran
If I'd had readings that high from the start I wouldn't be thinking typo, or typographical error. More like an ypographical terror.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
£16450 and it's just shot up to £43952 within the last ten minutes.
The electric seems to be working fine..
It's only been fitted an hour ago. and on the electric I've used 10p
I've just called EDF about my mild concerns and said it can take up to 14 days for the gas readings to settle correctly.
It looks like it's going to be beans on toast and a card box box to live in from now on.

You're lucky. When the heating engineer came around my flat he did not like the look of my gas fire, so he cut off my gas supply. He could not find the model on the Internet and he said the flame burnt yellow. Every gas fire I have seen an advert for burns yellow. I do not have central heating. So now I have buy another gas fire and pay someone to install it. I have not changed my electricity and gas supplier yet, but I will do. Moral of the story: don't let them into your home.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You're lucky. When the heating engineer came around my flat he did not like the look of my gas fire, so he cut off my gas supply. He could not find the model on the Internet and he said the flame burnt yellow. Every gas fire I have seen an advert for burns yellow. I do not have central heating. So now I have buy another gas fire and pay someone to install it. I have not changed my electricity and gas supplier yet, but I will do. Moral of the story: don't let them into your home.
Or, in my case...

Let them into your home to fix/replace your faulty gas fire BEFORE the CO fumes from it render you unconscious and almost kill you!! (I eventually came round on the floor and crawled to safety. My brain has not been 100% since then, as fellow forum ride riders would probably tell you! :laugh:)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If you have doubts about the meter and/or display, take photographs with a time and date stamp. That way you have a record. If ultimately you don't need them, you have lost nothing but a few seconds of your time. On the other hand if you do, they are your evidence.
I don't understand why there should be a settling down period. For example you wouldn't have a settling in period for new smart TV, or a Hive unit.

Gwylan

Veteran
At the call center the operatives have yellow post-it notes around their screens.
These are the latest set of clear off messages for customers with doubts about their wireless meters.

A selection, do add your own

* they need a while to settle down
* there's been a lot of lumpy gas recently
* your meter might be scared of the dark
*you need to introduce it to Alexa
* don't worry, call back in a month or two

presta

Guru
The media this morning are reporting that 12% (4.3/35) of meters are 'faulty', but with little detail on what constitutes a fault, so I've just sent Ofgem an FOI request:

1711460047165.png

It's the non-evident inaccuracy that interests me in particular.

The media this morning are reporting that 12% (4.3/35) of meters are 'faulty', but with little detail on what constitutes a fault, so I've just sent Ofgem an FOI request:

View attachment 725554

It's the non-evident inaccuracy that interests me in particular.

reading what I can into the articles in the papers
this includes even the smallest fault.
so it it has "gone dumb" then that is included - in fact one supplier had been found to have been under-reporting this category which accounts for the jump in faults
however - most papers mention the shock rise and then go on and on about extreme case where people say they are being told that they owe thousands
One person was unable to get to her meter to actually submit a manual reading and has had estimated bills at a high rate for some time

presumably she also does not know anyone that could read it for her either - which is worrying. In her cse an engineer has now visited and fixed it - which was mentioned quickly at the end

Julia9054

Guru
My energy provider is EDF. They have been badgering me to have a smart meter for about 2 years now. I have heard so many stories about them going wrong and people having endless trouble getting their energy company to fix the error that I have no intention of getting one. The cold calls and texts stopped for about 6 months but last week I had a call that started "As part of your tariff, you have agreed to get a smart meter so I'm phoning to book an installation date"
This is a bare faced lie - currently, I'm not on any special tariff as it reverted to their variable rate when my fixed term rate ended. When I explained this, he just rung off.
I object to companies lying to customers.

a.twiddler

Veteran
At the call center the operatives have yellow post-it notes around their screens.
These are the latest set of clear off messages for customers with doubts about their wireless meters.

A selection, do add your own

* they need a while to settle down
* there's been a lot of lumpy gas recently
* your meter might be scared of the dark
*you need to introduce it to Alexa
* don't worry, call back in a month or two

Who runs that department, some guy by the name of Trump?

Top Bottom