Caravan registration plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Can two different caravans legally have the same registration number?

20230518_101127.jpg

20230518_101058.jpg

Tom...

Veteran
Yes, it's simply the reg plate of the vehicle towing them.

EDIT: Appears to be the same caravan in both photos regardless?

Alex321

Veteran
A caravan doesn't have a registration number.

It need to display the registration number of the car that is towing it.

And yes, if two different caravans are regularly towed by the same car, then they are likely to display the same registration number.

Though I have to say, those don't look like two different caravans?

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes, it's simply the reg plate of the vehicle towing them.

Not in this case. One vehicle has that number. But obviously the other vehicle has a different. Registration.

I assume the second vehicle will be insured to tow it.

It just looked odd seeing 2 caravans with the same number in the same car park.

A caravan doesn't have a registration number.

It need to display the registration number of the car that is towing it.

And yes, if two different caravans are regularly towed by the same car, then they are likely to display the same registration number.

Though I have to say, those don't look like two different caravans?

At the same time?!

R.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
Not in this case. One vehicle has that number. But obviously the other vehicle has a different. Registration.

I assume the second vehicle will be insured to tow it.

It just looked odd seeing 2 caravans with the same number in the same car park.

That does seem odd. The only reasonable/legal explanation would be that they only have one vehicle, and are moving the vans in relays.

If the 'van is being towed by another vehicle, then they should replace or cover the plate on that 'van with one showing the registration number of the vehicle doing the towing.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
That does seem odd. The only reasonable/legal explanation would be that they only have one vehicle, and are moving the vans in relays.

If the 'van is being towed by another vehicle, then they should replace or cover the plate on that 'van with one showing the registration number of the vehicle doing the towing.

This is in Denmark and it was the UK plates that caught my attention. They were being pulled by equally expensive pick up trucks.

They reminded me of a group of people in the UK who park their caravans wherever they wish. Just as I was leaving the Danish police turned up.

D

Deleted member 26715

There are a few innocent reasons why this could happen, same family own both caravans, each had been towed by LJ72 ZRN at some point & they had inadvertently forgot to change 1 of the plates. A company that delivers caravans again one vehicle had towed both & forgot to change the plate.

Alternatively as you say they were being towed by pick ups. LJ72 ZRN is a LAND ROVER DEFENDER X-DYNAMIC S D MHEV A,whatever the fuff that is I don't think it's a pick up in which case both vans are stolen & being delivered to to a dodgy supplier of new vans.

Alex321

Veteran
This is in Denmark and it was the UK plates that caught my attention. They were being pulled by equally expensive pick up trucks.

They reminded me of a group of people in the UK who park their caravans wherever they wish. Just as I was leaving the Danish police turned up.

While I don't know Danish law, I imagine that part is pretty similar across the world. When being towed, a caravan should always be displaying the registration plate of the vehicle towing it.

Top Bottom