Caravan registration plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Or the offence @Phaeton pointed out if they were being towed by pick up (flat bed) trucks and not a Land Rover Defender

Suppose it depends on the officer & how much paperwork is involved in finding out that neither truck is what it is supposed to be

Drago

Legendary Member
Once a trailer of any sort is attached to a vehicle it becomes a part of that vehicle for the purposes of moving traffic offences and it becomes just the same as driving a car itself around with the wrong plate on the back.

£200 FPN if a traffic officer nabs them.

If a non-traffic/RPU/FRU officer stops them they aren't usually authorised to issue the £200 tickets to they'll submit a TOR for court instead, and in court its up to a £1000 fine, although in my experience the courts typically stiff the villain for between £200 and £500 unless they have form for it, and that's just for lazy people who can't be bothered to spend a tenner on a plate when they borrow a trailer.

Certain other sectors of society do it willfully along with all sorts of other wheezes as a means of trying to avoid properly documenting Multiple vehicles, or to avoid traffic or zoning penalties. That's getting harder to do as ANPR is getting cleverer and knows that a registration that pinged in, say, Norwich at 9am could not possibly be in Greenford two minutes later and will flag it, so more are being caught and that wheeze is getting harder to pull off. Depending on the circus and the intent they could equally be knocked off for fraud if avoiding civil penalties, or perverting the course of justice if avoiding criminal sanction. Fair chance of a suspended sentence or worse for either.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
While I don't know Danish law, I imagine that part is pretty similar across the world. When being towed, a caravan should always be displaying the registration plate of the vehicle towing it.

Plenty of countries, including some in Europe, require the caravan to be separately registered and display its own registration plate.

postman

Legendary Member
[misogynist on] You want more than 1 wife, oh lord you are brave [misogynist off]
Two mother in laws gawd help you.

DRM

Guru
This is in Denmark and it was the UK plates that caught my attention. They were being pulled by equally expensive pick up trucks.

They reminded me of a group of people in the UK who park their caravans wherever they wish. Just as I was leaving the Danish police turned up.

You've just answered your own question, however in the UK a caravan or trailer is not registered with DVLA, so displays the registration number of the towing vehicle, in the rest of Europe a trailer below 750kg mlw is not registered, so displays the towcar's number as in the UK, over 750 kg it has to be registered and has it's own number plate, hence why you see Polish tractor units, pulling German/Dutch/French/Danish registered trailers.
Friends of ours moved to France and had to get their caravan inspected and registered to be legit in France, was a bit of a headache being a UK import iirc

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

You've just answered your own question, however in the UK a caravan or trailer is not registered with DVLA, so displays the registration number of the towing vehicle, in the rest of Europe a trailer below 750kg mlw is not registered, so displays the towcar's number as in the UK, over 750 kg it has to be registered and has it's own number plate, hence why you see Polish tractor units, pulling German/Dutch/French/Danish registered trailers.
Friends of ours moved to France and had to get their caravan inspected and registered to be legit in France, was a bit of a headache being a UK import iirc

But do they not also have the plate of the rising vehicle on if not in their own country?

Top Bottom