Carbon fiber 29er folding frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
I seem to remember a carbon framed 26” wheeled bike in development some years ago but don’t think it ever went into production.

If it’s the wheel size that’s most important, then the only thing that comes close that I can think of is one of the Montague bikes - which use a 700c wheel.

Depends what you want it for and which bit you feel is the ‘must have’ feature.

Personally, I don’t like the way the Montague bikes fold as you need to remove the front wheel. Which makes them impractical for commuting if you need to fold them multiple times on one journey.

If it’s out and out speed you’re after, Airnimal bikes are a good shout. Don’t think the frame is Carbon, but the Chameleon has carbon forks and drop bars. But only 24” wheels and the same folding mechanism (ish) as the Montague. The Ultimate version is just 10kg. But £3,500.

Or, if carbon is the most important thing, then there’s the Hummingbird. World’s lightest folder, but small wheels and £3,700.

OP
OP
ruscle298

ruscle298

I seem to remember a carbon framed 26” wheeled bike in development some years ago but don’t think it ever went into production.

If it’s the wheel size that’s most important, then the only thing that comes close that I can think of is one of the Montague bikes - which use a 700c wheel.

Personally, I don’t like the way the Montague bikes fold as you need to remove the front wheel. Which makes them impractical for commuting if you need to fold them multiple times on one journey.

If it’s out and out speed you’re after, Airnimal bikes are a good shout. Don’t think the frame is Carbon, but the Chameleon has carbon forks and drop bars. But only 24” wheels and the same folding mechanism (ish) as the Montague. The Ultimate version is just 10kg. But £3,500.

Or, if carbon is the most important thing, then there’s the Hummingbird. World’s lightest folder, but small wheels and £3,700.

29er size wheels are a requirement for me. I already have a full-size steel frame bike with S&S couplers. I would like it to be lighter, especially when dragging it around while it is in it's suit case. A carbon folding frame would be ideal, and then I would just sell my steel frame.

kais01

Regular
if its for for travel and you dont mind 15 minutes of work you can buy a full susser and take it apart in the suspension links behind the seat tube. means you also have to make arrangements for the derailer and rear brakes. i have a 10 kg cube xc bike where this operation would be easily performed.

an alternative is to rinko the bike, required to bring bikes on trains in japan. you then take the wheels off. place them alongside the frame. package is smaller if you also take out the front fork, an easy operation if you have sealed bearings as there is on most modern bikes. in the rinko concept is also inckuded a quick coupling to take off the rear part of a mudguard. here is a photo from jan heines blog.

Attachments

• 088B7041-9562-4B49-A295-D730DBCFDF26.jpeg
    088B7041-9562-4B49-A295-D730DBCFDF26.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
ruscle298

ruscle298

Here is the steel frame that I have. I will probably end up getting a rear suspension carbon fiber mountain bike frame that I can remove the shock/spring and disassemble the pivots of the rear triangle. Then I should be able to fit in my travel case.

Attachments

• Pic_0814_058.jpg
    Pic_0814_058.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 17
  • img_1734.jpg
    img_1734.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 19
  • img_1735.jpg
    img_1735.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 14
  • img_1737.jpg
    img_1737.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 16
  • img_1739.jpg
    img_1739.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
ruscle298

ruscle298

I have 1x11 drive train with no front derailluer with make it much easier to fold and put into the travel case.

OP
OP
ruscle298

ruscle298

if its for for travel and you dont mind 15 minutes of work you can buy a full susser and take it apart in the suspension links behind the seat tube. means you also have to make arrangements for the derailer and rear brakes. i have a 10 kg cube xc bike where this operation would be easily performed.

an alternative is to rinko the bike, required to bring bikes on trains in japan. you then take the wheels off. place them alongside the frame. package is smaller if you also take out the front fork, an easy operation if you have sealed bearings as there is on most modern bikes. in the rinko concept is also inckuded a quick coupling to take off the rear part of a mudguard. here is a photo from jan heines blog.
I like the Rinko option, but it would not fit in my travel case.

OP
OP
ruscle298

ruscle298

This Cube model has a rear triangle that looks like disassembling the shock and pivots would not be to difficult...... https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/m...cube-stereo-150-c62-sl-29-iridiumnblack-2019/ Which Cube model do you have that weighs 10 kg?

Attachments

• cubeBike.jpg
    cubeBike.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 18

Kell

Veteran
This Cube model has a rear triangle that looks like disassembling the shock and pivots would not be to difficult...... https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/m...cube-stereo-150-c62-sl-29-iridiumnblack-2019/ Which Cube model do you have that weighs 10 kg?

It wasn’t Cube I was talking about.

It was Airnimal. I don’t know of a Cube bike that folds.

kais01

Regular
ruscle, its a cube 29 ams hpc slt sram xx 17 frame from about 2014. stock its 10.5, with tubeless stans crest wheels rocket rons sram 1080 cassette and a few goodies its 10.0 kg.

mostly run it heavier than that, have a 400g dropper, and like to run it with 40i rims and 2.6 nobby nics. frame will actually accept slimmer varieties 3.0 so a stealth 29 plus full susser:smile:

Top Bottom